Sponsored by:

g-pipe install

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:46 AM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
Ok just removed the damn thing. Like the stock sound so much better. Is the rear pipe just for weight or has a sound too?
The claim is 8 hp and 25 lbs of weight removed from the rear end of the car. It is louder, but not obnoxious. Of course sound is subjective, I like the sound.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:46 AM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Looked today in day light and nothing there. There is a light brown tinge but only with the flashlight
Old 08-06-2009, 11:53 AM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Blue I liked teh sound at idle but once revving up not my cup of tea. I did not notice any performance difference but only had on for a quick drive. I will look into the primary exhaust straight pipe and leave the cat and secondary.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:56 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I had a G-pipe on my first 964 and personally loved the sound, but at the end of the day it's all subjective.

The consensus is that if you want powaaa you go with a primary bypass, if you want sound you go with a secondary. Either way you can't go wrong by removing weight from the rear end.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:33 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ilko
I had a G-pipe on my first 964 and personally loved the sound, but at the end of the day it's all subjective.
+1
Originally Posted by reynwerkes
I'm kinda bummed, just ordered the cat bypass and g pipe from Dansk.
Don't sweat it. It sounds a lot like this. Not a raspy flat six but tons better than stock, IMHO.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:43 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

I love the european sound in the car. If i wanted the rumble i would buy a chevy... So what primary bypasses is everyone using? and are they just as easy to install?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:47 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Also just realized was on vertex and said there is different exhaust gaskets for the tip then the primary to secondary??? I took them out and you know how things go you forget which one went to what end. They looked to me to be the same thing. Is there really a difference? There is 5 bucks difference on vertex.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:04 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

The gasket/ring seals are the same between the cat/primary/seconday/tail pipe on the Factory exhaust sytem.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:31 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

I though so but have different prices on vertex. wierd.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:14 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Are you running a cup airbox? This or a drilled airbox will make it even louder.

I happen to like to hear my engine. I happen to like the G pipe with the cup airbox but that was still not enough for me. I ended up with the cup airbox, K&N filter, 100cell cat, 3" in/out magnaflow muffler in place of both primary and secondary mufflers. This is best for the street IMO although very sporty sounding without being overly obnoxious. It does not drone at any RPMS and still allows me to listen to music at moderate levels without being drowned out by exhaust.

For track use I switch the factory tail pipe with a dansk 5" pipe. It actually amplifies the sound but is still legal on street and LRP sound levels.

It looks a little ricerish but I like the sound and the look. I always know when my wife is coming around the track it is IMO a great sound. I always get compliments but like some have said it is not for everyone.
Attached Images   
Old 08-06-2009, 02:35 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Cobolt just had the G-pipe. sounded ok but I think you miss out on teh sound of teh motor.
Maybe down the line will try again, but think I will try the primary pipe and see what happens.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:39 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
Cobolt just had the G-pipe. sounded ok but I think you miss out on teh sound of teh motor.
Maybe down the line will try again, but think I will try the primary pipe and see what happens.
I miss your point. Even the awesome sound of a Ferrari is actually a combination of the intake and the exhaust note . The earlier 911's like the E's had a tremendous sound of the mechanical fuel injection making its clinking noises from all the linkages. The 964 has the most unique sound for a 911 IMO but is way over muffled. IMO in stock form all you hear is road and tire noise.

My car screams under WOT and if your looking for a symphony IMO my car belongs in Carnegie Hall, I wish my turbo sounded as good. You might try removing your air box and taping the filter in place and see what that does for you. The air box will give you more sound through the motor than most of the exhaust mods. Once you see if you enjoy that tone then you can adjust its volume by changing the mufflers or G pipe.

The motor sound package on the 993 is just a different airbox allowing more air to flow and giving it a throatier sound.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Cobalt I will try that with the filter to see how it sounds. The g -pipe just made a funky rumble and not my cup of tea. My car running I hear the motor with the radio off and the exhaust. I am looking to make it louder just did not like the sound of teh g pipe alone.

I guess I just need to play around with different options. And what I meant was that mostly all I heard was the rumble of the exhaust not the true engine sound.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:00 PM
AB-Oz
Instructor

I have a drilled airbox and a Cup Pipe (in place of the primary). When my secondary got holed I fitted a G-pipe for about 30 minutes.

On the first drive to the shops after fitting it, it broke windows, scared old ladies, panicked all sorts of animals, and sounded like a race car! Too obnoxious for a daily driver.

So I got a secondhand secondary from fleabay and sold the G-pipe to another Oz forum member...
Old 08-06-2009, 09:00 PM
AB-Oz
Instructor

I have a drilled airbox and a Cup Pipe (in place of the primary). When my secondary got holed I fitted a G-pipe for about 30 minutes.

On the first drive to the shops after fitting it, it broke windows, scared old ladies, panicked all sorts of animals, and sounded like a race car! Too obnoxious for a daily driver.

So I got a secondhand secondary from fleabay and sold the G-pipe to another Oz forum member...

Quick Reply: g-pipe install