Sponsored by:

Clutch / slave cylinder issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:20 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I got $0.50 riding on the slave...

So far the pool is $0.75 - which isn't too bad..??

JD
Old 08-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default another fitty cent

On the slave. The symptoms sound exactly what I had with a failing cylinder. They are next to impossible to bleed without a pressure rig. Start with the simplest first.

Alan
Old 08-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems at all on the drive home today and I checked the fluid level and it is fine. LEts get the pool up to about $300 or so to pay for ther repair.

The comments about the air in the line forming one large bubble made perfect sense to me. I also agree that it would seem odd for the pedal to compress over night if it were the pin. I am guessing slave myself. I will start with bleeding and go from there.

My comment about not much room to work was actually referring to my house - I live in the city and have little space to work on the car.

What would be a reasonable price to have it repaired? I was quoted about $200 for the parts and $300 in labor at $90 and hour. SOmeone mentioned it was an FTE part - new to the car so not sure what that means.

Nobody suggested it was the clutch itself - that makes me feel much better as it appears that my max out of pocket would be around $500.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:28 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm sorry.. FTE is the Porsche OEM supplier for that part.. As well - I was talking about the room under the car is small - which is good if you only have a small place to work on it.. Seriously - you don't need much room to work on the slave - as your work will be done under the car.

Again - the price breakdown are (in round numbers):

Slave - ~ $85 + shipping;

Clutch master - ~$125 + shipping

Working on your own 964? Priceless...

And oh - when you said: "....The comments about the air in the line forming one large bubble made perfect sense to me..." Don't ever, ever admit to anyone - ever - that anything I ever say makes sense.....

Anyway - all the suggestions in this thread make a lot of sense. And you problem could be one of the solutions or a combination of the several posted... So - if you want to take this on yourself - just know all of us will be here to walk you through getting your 964 fixed up and running.. And nope - you won't have to pay us $500.. A beer when we meet will be payment enough for most of us...

Keep us posted, OK?

John
Old 08-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys - I really enjoy the new community I have joined. Everyone has been more than willing to help. True Car enthusiasts, not car snobs!

Any recommendations on a clock that stops working from time to time?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"LEts get the pool up to about $300 or so to pay for ther repair. "
Sorry , you don't get the winnings .

If you think its air in the line , take it into another shop and don't tell them whats going on .
Just ask for a clutch bleeding .
They should charge next to nothing for such a small job .
If it fixes it I will be amazed .

If the bleeding does not fix it up ,
master cylinder = $80.93 Fahrzeug Technik Ebern (FTE)
slave = $93.42
hose = $32.67
Old 08-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Whats the news on this problem/repair ?
Old 09-30-2009, 04:08 PM
mike10562004
Racer

thanks
Old 09-30-2009, 06:00 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Start with the simplest thing first? You guys assume normal car history. I learned not to do that with my first 964. Here I go.

He says he's only had the car a few weeks. I bought my car from a "reputable" "exotic car" garage which had impounded the car for the $11,300 repair bill owed them. I actually bought the car feeling secure that so much work had been done on it that it should be almost "like new" and I wouldn't have to work on it myself. I love the most challenging projects, but at the time, I didn't have time to work on a car.

I bought the car about 150 miles from my home, and I didn't even make it home before the problems began. After some frustrating, and expensive, trial and error, I found that the nut on the starter motor cable had not been tightened, allowing the car to start but not charge the battery sufficiently during a long drive.

How does this relate to the clutch? Well, they also left one nut off the clutch slave, and the other one loose. At least it became so loose that by the time I had a serious clutch issues and found the problem, the slave was hanging about 1/2" from the housing.

"Simplest thing" would be to get under there and take a look. I doubt that there would be another idiot mechanic who would leave nuts loose after engine work, like they did on mine. But I would take a look around underneath first.

Also, I'm having a little trouble understanding the air bubble concept, but I hope it's as simple as that.

Here's my idea: He doesn't say whether its a C2 or C4. But if it's a C4, you guys know they have the different pressure pump system. If this pump has an internal leak, couldn't that let some of the pressure leak backwards on cool down and result in the pedal falling? If it's just beginning to fail, it would explain why it goes to normal after the first pump. Sure, if he's not getting an ABS warning on start-up, I guess the pump is OK, but I don't think you could rule it out without a pressure test.

Well, just had to throw my $0.25 in so I could get in the pool. Please excuse my off-the-wall troubleshooting and rambling.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:02 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the same clutch symptoms. Bleeding helped a little. Replacing the slave and slave hose made the clutch action like new.

You do not need a power bleeder. Put a snug-fitting hose over the bleeder nipple, and route it to a catch jar for the fluid. Open the valve about one full turn. Drink a cool one while gravity does the work. Close the valve when the black gooey fluid stops flowing and the fresh blue or amber color is the same as what you added to the reservoir. I also do the brakes with no power bleeder and no pedal pumping. I see the color change in about 15 minutes. The trick is a hose that is snug enough to seal out air. Siphon effect increases the bleed rate as the line fills with fluid. Keeping out air also lets the bubbles tell you there is still air in the system.

The only disadvantage is it takes a little longer. Clean the garage or attend to another repair while waiting.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Or, if you want to drive down to Orlando... stop by and we will make it a wrench get together... we have not had one of those in some time...

Not a complicated task.

Quick Reply: Clutch / slave cylinder issue?