Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How well does Cashmere / Tan leather age?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:14 AM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Question How well does Cashmere / Tan leather age?

Long-term, is this a good interior color to own? I have owned light grey leather interiors before, and they were difficult to keep lovely and clean. Black has always been the easiest to own, in my experience.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 AM
augsburg911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has a cashmere interior, and for being 16 years old, it still looks good.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:36 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the vinyl cashmere pieces hold up pretty well. Unless it's a rare, full leather interior, that would include seat backs, door panels, console, rear seats and quarters. The two leather items which really show wear are the seat bolsters and shift ****. The driver's bolsters usually look cracked and, perhaps, dingy. The **** also gets pretty dingy. You can clean and condition but replacement is your best bet if you're looking for a pristine interior. 993 seats and ***** make good replacements.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:16 AM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
Most of the vinyl cashmere pieces hold up pretty well. Unless it's a rare, full leather interior, that would include seat backs, door panels, console, rear seats and quarters. The two leather items which really show wear are the seat bolsters and shift ****. The driver's bolsters usually look cracked and, perhaps, dingy. The **** also gets pretty dingy. You can clean and condition but replacement is your best bet if you're looking for a pristine interior. 993 seats and ***** make good replacements.
Excellent info, thanks!

Are the seat bolsters individually replaceable?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
+1 - My cab has a full leather and the leather still looks good except....the driver's seat bolster has worn through and the shift **** is starting to look worn. The key to keeping the leather looking good is cleaning it periodically and plenty leather treatment. My favorites are from Lexol. If you want to make last the longest, you should ask the Concours forum. They are the experts in restoring and keeping things looking like new.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:44 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoKart
Excellent info, thanks!

Are the seat bolsters individually replaceable?
You're welcome. I wouldn't say that they are replaceable. The bolsters are simply the thicker padded areas found on the seat bottom and back sections which add support and keep you in place.

Replacing the bolster would mean replacing the entire seat or back "cushion" and I don't often see those sold separately. You can recover them but, as mentioned, buying a nice, used replacement is probably the way to go.
Replacement seat cover
Old 08-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My '91 is in very good shape, and I doubt the PO's took any extraordinary measures to keep it nice. I do think the Porsche dealer I bought it from had the seat faces re-dyed. They look really good, "too good" and I can see a little overspray on the metal at the hinges.

Give a good leather guy a couple hours and he can work magic.

I use Leatherique on all my leather. Great stuff.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the supple leather option (seats - not 'full'), they are tan and look like new. I think this question is a tad 'how long is a piece of string' as, like most things, it really depends on how you take care of it....

Quick Reply: How well does Cashmere / Tan leather age?