Sponsored by:

Original struts, adjustable or not

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:27 PM
dpepin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original struts, adjustable or not

I was cleaning my wheels and the wheel arch this weekend and I noticed that both the front and rear struts seem to be adjustable.

So basically what I mean by this is that where the bottom of the spring sits I have some type of adjustment which I would think would allow me to lower the car by removing spring tension thus compressing the strut until the tension on the spring came back.

Did anyone ever tried this?

Thanks,
Old 07-28-2009, 12:14 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

I remember the originals having the adjustable spring perch from when I put my coilovers on...I dont think you have any more than 1/2" of adjustment in there though. You are also putting more pressure on a worn out 15+ year old shock/strut, which is probably already dead by now anyways.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

+1 - your original shocks are most likely worn out at this point.

Is it possible to lower your car this way? Yes. Would I bother? No. A 1/2" is not enough to bother. Besides, after changing the adjustments, you should do a new alignment and corner balance. In my opinion, if you want to lower the car do it the right way with new springs and shocks. You will get 1.5". The cost of the materials is around $1,000 for H&R Greens and Bilstein HD's. The alignment and corner balance is another $600.

But before making any changes to the car, what are your goals? How do you intend to use the car? Street, drivers ed, racing? You should decide where you are going before starting to do modifications.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:34 PM
dpepin
Intermediate

Thanks for the info.

I guess I'll wait and get new stuff

Quick Reply: Original struts, adjustable or not