Sponsored by:

OBC and other things?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBC and other things?

okay, so I am learning my way around my new car. Couple observations / questions:

1. My owner's manual shows an OBC but I clearly do not have one. My car is a 1994 C2 - am I missing something or was that an upgrade option?

2. When at a stand still or just barely moving I get a loude humming sound when turning the wheels to the left (left only). I assume steering fluid is in order, sound right? The only left turns part gets me unless the sound is just a need for some lube, and not a fluid level issue.

3. I am pretty convinced the oil level gauge does not work (I believe I am reading my oil level properly per the insutrction in the owners manual) as it never fluctuates out of the red area. I assume this really is not an issue as long as I keep an eye on the levels

4. My oil pressure gauge pretty much stays between 4-5 when driving - any concerns about too high a level? I know the books say at least 3.5bar at 5,000 RPMs. Mine stays at about 4.75 at that RPM level when the engine is warm. Drops to about the middle when at idle.

Okay, that is it for now - more to come I am sure.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

1) Dont quote me but i think the OBC was only on the turbos????

2) Air in the system??

3)Get the oil temp to where the temp gauge shows about 9 oclock. Check the oil on the dipstick. If its reading on the dipstick it should read on the oil level gauge. I used to think mine was broken when i bought my car but my oil level was just low.

4) I think thats normal, mine is the same way.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:08 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
1) Dont quote me but i think the OBC was only on the turbos????

Its also standard on all TIP's
Old 07-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

If you want to repair the oil tank level sensor, its not too difficult. I wrote up the procedure here

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...el-sensor.html
Old 07-26-2009, 02:05 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OBC was an option for C2s, standard equipt for the Turbos. Didn't know it was std for Tips...

BTW - I'm looking for a Tach with OBC to do the upgrade...
Old 07-26-2009, 07:08 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mitch,

I have an OBC Tach that works, but the backlighting in the display does not function. I don't know if its an easy fix or not, but you can have it for the shipping.

The upgrade isn't hard. You will need to run a wire for the temp sensor to the driver's mirror. (some fishing through the door is in order). You'll also need the OBC stalk (can be had at a dismantler) and it plugs into a plug that's hidden behind the dash likely just under the steering column. I was prepared for a big wiring job, but it was plug n play.

Somewhere on here there is a DIY with a list of parts.

Good luck!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:08 AM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take it!
I'll PM you my details.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: OBC and other things?