Sponsored by:

Faulty oil level sensor...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Mark Brook
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Faulty oil level sensor...

As above, my sensor has given up the fight. I've read on John Miles' site how he bodged a fix, but wanted to know if any of you guys had done the job properly. Do I need to drain the oil? Is fitting the new cable as tough as it looks? Any special tools required?

Any info gratefully recieved,

Cheers,

Mark 90C2.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:34 AM
Mark Brook
Racer

Bump
Old 02-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I have replaced the oil level sensor on my 964 C2. It wasn't too hard. I did drain the oil but in hindsight, you may be able to do it without doing so.

Key steps
  • Jack up the car
  • remove the right rear wheel
  • Remove the air cleaner housing
  • Clean the oil tank area and fenderwell very well to minimize any dirt falling into the tank.
  • Unbolt the oil level sensor
  • Cut the retaining plastic tie wraps connecting the oil level sensor wires to the oil lines.
  • Disconnect the connector in the engine compartment and push through to the fenderwell.
  • Remove sensor
  • Installation is the reverse. Be careful not to get any dirt into the oil tank.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:39 AM
jim_l
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i replaced this sensor, last summer. pretty easy. i did not drain the oil, if the engine is cold you should be ok, but have a catch pan handy just in case..
Old 02-18-2009, 10:20 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I also did mine over the summer and did not drain the oil. Rob's instructions look great. One of the bottom 6 studs that hold the cover on broke from corrosion when I removed the cap nut. It has not leaked so far.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Mark Brook
Racer

Thanks guys, the part is on order and I should have it by Monday.

Rob, where does the wire lead to once in the engine bay please? Mine is pretty filthy under the arches, and I can't really see where it goes. Is it fairly near the oil filter? I guess a good jet wash will be in order!!!!

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Mark. 90C2
Old 02-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

The wire crosses from the fenderwell to the engine compartment about 12-16" back from the oil tank. Its been about a year since I did it but I would say approximately in line with your drive axle. You need to clean thoroughly around the oil tank because you don't want any dirt entering your oil tank. I cleaned around my oil lines too but still found a lot of silt/dust once I cut the retaining tie wraps to separate the wire from the oil line. A power washer is probably a good idea.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:11 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Hi Rob
I am a new 89 C4 owner about 9 months. I love driving my car. it has 80K miles on it. Is there anything special to do to get 230K miles out of the car. That is what I aspire to do. I change the oil meticulously and drive the car as often as I can. I also have to cahnge the hydraulic fluids but have not done that recently. I live right up the road from you in Hopkinton,NH. I have been to the porsche dealership in nashua drooling over the new porsches. I still like the looks of my 964 compared to the 997's.
Cons
Old 08-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cpbmd
Hi Rob
I am a new 89 C4 owner about 9 months. I love driving my car. it has 80K miles on it. Is there anything special to do to get 230K miles out of the car. That is what I aspire to do. I change the oil meticulously and drive the car as often as I can. I also have to cahnge the hydraulic fluids but have not done that recently. I live right up the road from you in Hopkinton,NH. I have been to the porsche dealership in nashua drooling over the new porsches. I still like the looks of my 964 compared to the 997's.
Cons
I know what you mean about the new Porsches. I prefer the 964 too. What's the key to getting 230K miles? Nothing special. I have followed the factory maintenance schedule to a tee. The only thing special is to never postpone maintenance. If you do, the repair costs will be higher once you do it. Of course, Rennlist helps a lot too.

Congratulations on the "new" car. Maybe we can get together some time.

Quick Reply: Faulty oil level sensor...