Sponsored by:

HE/Exhaust Manifold Gaskets - Victor Reinz

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 05:06 PM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question HE/Exhaust Manifold Gaskets - Victor Reinz

Just received a new set of Victor Reinz heat exchanger/exhaust manifold gaskets from Pelican Parts, P/N 71-24953-30 for the '90 C2. They are different than the previously installed mostly-round gaskets - they appear to be VR's multi-layered steel gaskets. There's a completely flat side, and a flat but slightly beveled side. Does the completely flat side go against the manifold flange, and the slightly beveled side against the cylinder head?

No additional gasket sealant is recommended, correct? How best to hold these gaskets in place while installing the manifold? Looks like the three passenger-side gaskets, maybe originals, were held in place by 3 dabs of black HT grease. They're still attached to the cylinders after removing the HE/EM. The three driver-side gaskets, not original, were dry and fell out with the HE/EM removal. I've read about super-gluing the gaskets to the cylinder, or using tape which is removed prior to wrenching.

I emailed these questions to Pelican and Dana/Victor Reinz in Germany. Dana/Mahle/Victor Reinz in the US doesn't sell or support these gaskets. Pelican doesn't have an answer, and Dana/VR-Germany hasn't responded.

BTW, lucky that exhaust manifold nuts were easily removed, with only slight rust present. Might be the mostly dry CA environment?

Last edited by slips2; 07-22-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this last week and used a small dab of silicone adhesive, inserted the seal and then rotated it to spread the "glue."

As for the orientation, you may want to dry fit the part to see if there's a better fit--one way or the other--but I think your guess is correct. The flat side mates up to the HE flange. You could also pull one of the Factory seals for comparison. If I recall correctly, they're not exactly the same on both sides.

Good luck. Remember not to over torque and use anti-seize.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:55 PM
96foe
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through the same problem and found the answer in my 964 enthusiast's companion book. the beveled edge of the washer faces the heat exchanger. Put two small dabs of crazy glue on the flat side of the washer and press it into the manifold area. It works great I just finished my car
Old 07-22-2009, 10:02 PM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
... silicone adhesive ...

... but I think your guess is correct. The flat side mates up to the HE flange.

Good luck. Remember not to over torque and use anti-seize.
Thanks Joey, I like the silicone adhesive idea into the cylinder recesses, a little dab will do ya, and be unobtrusive for a dry gasket seal. Torque wrench and Locktite 1800F copper anti-seize are waiting for the proper install.

96foe, thanks, found the reference to "a fine seam on one side of each (sealing) ring", page 443 of the 964 Enthusiast's Companion, and that the "seam" should face the heat exchanger. The "seam" of my previous rings are a flat surface. However, there's a big difference with the VR gaskets' beveled surfaces against the manifolds, as the VR flat surfaces would be against the cylinders, instead of a round surface like the previous gaskets.

To summarize, the cross-sections of the previous gasket seals are mostly (3/4) round, each with one of the sealing surfaces having a very slight built-up flat, aka "seam" by Streather. These flats were installed against the manifold flanges and the round surfaces against the cylinders. The cross-sections of the new Victor Reinz gasket seals are nearly square, formed by multi-layered steel, with one sealing face completely flat, and the other with a raised, slightly beveled lip. Both VR surfaces install into the cylinder recesses with no apparent differences, however I'm thinking having the beveled, raised lip/surface toward the cylinders may eliminate interference between the gasket outer lip and the outer corner radius at the bottom of each cylinder recess.

Hopefully Victor Reinz-Germany will reply with the definitive answer. I was reading about the VR multi-layer steel gaskets which supposedly better resist compression over time, and eliminate the need to go back and re-torque the nuts.

Last edited by slips2; 07-22-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:09 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slips2
Torque wrench and Locktite 1800F copper anti-seize are waiting for the proper install.
That's what I'm talking about!

You're welcome!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:50 PM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Received answer from Dana/Victor Reinz - Germany:

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 6:18 AM
Subject: WG: Re: Antwort: WG: Victor Reinz Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

finally your mail reached me.
Enclosed is a picture and the side you see goes to the head.

Attention: Never ever use any sealants when using a Reinz gasket as long as otherwise described.

Regards

Günter Straub

(See attached file: 702495330.jpg):

Here's my picture of the VR gasket's "beveled" side:

and the flat side:

Old 11-07-2017, 07:22 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

sadly these pics are not showing anymore .. does the rounded side face the floor/header/heat exchanger side or the ceiling/head/port side?

Quick Reply: HE/Exhaust Manifold Gaskets - Victor Reinz