Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Trackday

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:40 AM
IanR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, trackdays are great and the 964 is a good car to use for them.

+1 on the tuition, try someone like Sean Edwards, who knows a thing or two about driving 911s (he's driving for the Porsche works team in a 997 RSR at the Spa 24hrs this weekend). You will end up on the slippery slope - I started with a C2, modded it a bit (suspension/brakes/tyres) then finally went the whole hog and changed it for a '92 Cup car.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:45 PM
user 783003
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had my first experience this weekend too. I did an AutoCross at TireRack in South Bend. Since then, I've been glued to eBay, Rennlist, Pelican, etc. more than normal.

I was slipping all over the track and was the slowest Porsche out there and I'm sure it was mostly me, but the others were either much newer or highly modified, or just better drivers. Could be the tiptronic too.

Thanks for this thread. Would have never thought about new brake fluid. Now I'm looking for a new set of rims and racing tires. I'll need a roll bar, chip, lowered, etc. Was so much fun. Would love to be on a longer track though.

My A/X run and my Southern Belle wife's commentary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNkiTAEyHQI
Old 07-23-2009, 01:27 AM
amr89c4
Pro

Yep, track days are great and now I count the days to each one. I think you will be amazed at just how much performance will be uncorked as you get seat time. Its the cheapest horsepower going and you cannot beat the thrill and excitement as you learn how to read the lines and smoothly handle the car.

I also concluded that when you are finally get your solo check ride and the instructor is absent in the next session, you will swear you bolted on another 25hp without his weight in the car. It was similar to when I soloed years ago in a little Cessna 152II. The little plane struggled to climb out at 500 fpm with the 200 pound Instructors soul aboard. But when he hopped out and said 'go take her around the patch' , that next takeoff and climb out was like you were drivin an F-16! She came out of there like a homesick angel.

Your car will reward you the same way.

Have fun and enjoy the slide.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:20 AM
gchristofi
Racer

Originally Posted by amr89c4
Yep, track days are great and now I count the days to each one. I think you will be amazed at just how much performance will be uncorked as you get seat time. Its the cheapest horsepower going and you cannot beat the thrill and excitement as you learn how to read the lines and smoothly handle the car.

I also concluded that when you are finally get your solo check ride and the instructor is absent in the next session, you will swear you bolted on another 25hp without his weight in the car. It was similar to when I soloed years ago in a little Cessna 152II. The little plane struggled to climb out at 500 fpm with the 200 pound Instructors soul aboard. But when he hopped out and said 'go take her around the patch' , that next takeoff and climb out was like you were drivin an F-16! She came out of there like a homesick angel.

Your car will reward you the same way.

Have fun and enjoy the slide.
I wish I could say the same, I'm around 260lbs .... I reckon my instructer was half that.... My car was much slower when he got out...
Old 07-23-2009, 08:39 AM
gchristofi
Racer

Originally Posted by 964russ
Ive still not taken the trackday plunge yet!
Ive been thinking about it for a while, cost and lack of ***** has stoped me so far.
You not scared of sumone giving your white flash a ding?
Ive got the fear due to lack of money, running a porsche on a budget.

But ive taken the first step and iam goin to curbourgh in sept.
Understand completely but wish I'd gone earlier. If it was still my DD and I didn't have good insurance in place that would be another story... Curbourgh does look like a fun day.

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Indeed...welcome to the club

Myself and a variety of other Pork are booked on Rockingham on August 15th...a step up from Bedford Auto but still very forgiving for the newish trackdriver

p.s. I'd hate to see what state your brakes are in after a solid 1.5 hours on track!
Shame won't make Rockingham on 15th August but may well be back at Bedford on 27th

Surprisingly, my brakes handled this very well, partly because it was v. wet and mostly because of my weak driving skills, braking too early and too soft (but gotta look after the old dear, to start with anyway)
Old 07-24-2009, 05:56 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for refreshing the brake fluid.

Braking too early and too soft actually tends to put a lot of heat into the brakes ('cos too early and too soft normally = for too long), and the brake fluid, especially if it's 2 years old or more will be the weak point.

After brake fluid, I'd also suggest instruction. You'll be smoother, safer and kinder to the car, and you'll learn things that will help on the road.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Weissach911
Advanced

alfred_hybrid - I'm still laughing at your wife's commentry, that was goooood
Old 07-26-2009, 05:41 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 964russ
Ive still not taken the trackday plunge yet!
Ive been thinking about it for a while, cost and lack of ***** has stoped me so far.
You not scared of sumone giving your white flash a ding?
Ive got the fear due to lack of money, running a porsche on a budget.

But ive taken the first step and iam goin to curbourgh in sept.
Curbourgh is good but maybe not ideal as your first taste of trackdays. I was there recently and having done quite a few previous trackdays at various circuits I found it very small and technical compared to a bigger circuit with limited run off in some areas. The circuit is also pretty narrow and has fairly high drop-offs is some places so very hard to push without risk of some underside dents if you slide off.

I'm not trying to put you off but instead point out that you may not be giving trackdays a fair chance by selecting curbourgh as your first destination, perhaps something like Snetterton , bedford or Silverstone might be a better first day?

A bunch of us from Impactbumpers are heading to Snetterton on Weds 12/08 with Goldtrack probably including my Mrs in her 964, you are welcome to join us if you fancy an alternative first track day.

Quick Reply: My First Trackday