Sponsored by:

crank case cracking?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Oracle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like crack to me.
You have 2 choices, sell the car or drive it until it leaks then you'll be concerned at what to do..
I wouldn't spend a dime on expensive analysis procedures cause you'll need a new engine if it's a crack or pay for the expensive analysis + assembly of the engine.. Either way you're going to spend a small fortune.
What if it's nothing?
Drive it until the oil pressure light goes blink! (if that ever happens)

Good luck.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:39 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Question

Could this have been caused by raising the car using the crankcase as a jacking point?

H
Old 07-20-2009, 08:07 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a good reason to never clean off or look closely at the bottom of your motor

just kidding. Hope its nothing bad.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:16 PM
JDD
Instructor

I hope not! I think most of us jack the car up that way...
Old 07-20-2009, 12:51 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JDD
I hope not! I think most of us jack the car up that way...
?!!

But I want to say one thing... to the American people...:
I did not jack up that car -- Miss 964 -- by her crankcase.
I never told anybody to lie... not a single time. Never.
These allegations are false... and I need to go back to work for the American people.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:48 PM
JDD
Instructor

I have the similar marks on my case. I am curious about how common they are. Does anyone else see them on theirs?
Old 07-20-2009, 03:11 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by christallon
Looks like it bottomed out given the gouges in the aluminum. The impact probably weakened the case and started the crack. Watch it for a while and see if its propogating. The pen marks are a good idea. Does not appear to be leaking, which is a good thing.
Yes, no leaking which is good so far. If the cracks to grow over time I may be tempted to investigate the shallow drilling option.

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I would scrub that areas very thoroughly with brake cleaner for a better look at the cracks without any oil or grease at those lines.

Then, I would have that Zyglow'ed to determine whether they truly ar cracks or not. This is a crack-detection procedure for non-ferrous metals.

The case is aluminium and can be welded in that area, however the engine MUST be totally disassembled and the case degreased on both inside and outside before this can be properly done.
Thanks for info, have scrubbed fairly well now and still looks similar. Shame the whole engine would need dissasembly for any future repair..

Originally Posted by Indycam
If you run a fingernail over it , is it raised ?
It looks to me from the photos , to be raised .
Unfortunately not raised. (shame as then I would have thought casting marks)

Originally Posted by Oracle
Looks like crack to me.
You have 2 choices, sell the car or drive it until it leaks then you'll be concerned at what to do..
I wouldn't spend a dime on expensive analysis procedures cause you'll need a new engine if it's a crack or pay for the expensive analysis + assembly of the engine.. Either way you're going to spend a small fortune.
What if it's nothing?
Drive it until the oil pressure light goes blink! (if that ever happens)

Good luck.
I have to say, I'm with you on this. Having just spent a fair amount for a top end rebuild and replacing oil pipes I'm not inclined to spend out for a full rebuild only 1k miles later!! Will monitor the marks over time and see what happens. They may well get me through the next 15 years, 70k miles until next top end then it won't be too much of a stretch to get into the case too. So fingers crossed, use it as it was meant to be used.

Originally Posted by Harry Apps
Could this have been caused by raising the car using the crankcase as a jacking point?

H
Not in my time but I was not the 1st owner and used to run with undertrays so might have never noticed it in the last 14 years!

Originally Posted by jimq
This is a good reason to never clean off or look closely at the bottom of your motor
Yes, very wise words given my 14 years of ignorant bliss....

Originally Posted by JDD
I have the similar marks on my case. I am curious about how common they are. Does anyone else see them on theirs?
Are your marks raised or are they cracks too?
Old 07-20-2009, 03:31 PM
JDD
Instructor

I'll check tonight... Were those cracks there prior to the top end rebuild? Is it possible that they were caused by the shop that did it?
Old 07-20-2009, 05:17 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,271 Posts

Being an ASNT certified casting inspector of aluminum and magnesium castings with over 25 years experience inspecting castings through penetrant (magnaflux, zyglo as stated elsewhere) radiographic and visual inspection methods . I have to say the photos are inconclusive and far too low resolution to determine if it is a crack.

This could be a surface irregularity since there is a thin surface skin created by the casting process. This could be the result of removing the part too early or not perfectly square with the die while removing it during solidification. Then again it could also be a crack although I highly doubt it. The impact needed to crack a casting like that would be far greater than what we are seeing and if it did crack I would expect to see some oil seepage and far more damage more than likely an indentation deforming the casting from the impact.

If you would like, send me a high res picture and I will take a closer look. Otherwise now that you have thoroughly cleaned it drive it for a while and keep an eye on it. If you notice oil seeping outwards from the crack you have an issue. Although as I said I highly doubt you have a serious issue.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:23 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Brilliant! Where else but Rennlist could one find an expert in aluminium casting.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:33 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDD
I'll check tonight... Were those cracks there prior to the top end rebuild? Is it possible that they were caused by the shop that did it?
good question but I don't have any evidence they weren't pre existing.

Originally Posted by cobalt

If you would like, send me a high res picture and I will take a closer look. Otherwise now that you have thoroughly cleaned it drive it for a while and keep an eye on it. If you notice oil seeping outwards from the crack you have an issue. Although as I said I highly doubt you have a serious issue.
appreciate the offer thanks. Let me dig up a decent camera and light source and try again with macro.

Originally Posted by meek
Brilliant! Where else but Rennlist could one find an expert in aluminium casting.
too true
Old 07-20-2009, 05:36 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

+1 on cobalts comments, I've seen similar looking casting flaws in 911 cases since early motors, and a crack in that location would be leaking like a sieve, the marking on case suggests it got dinged but IMHO its not worth loosing sleep about...I'll bet everyone on the board could go home and find a similar looking flaw on their cases...
Old 07-20-2009, 06:18 PM
gazzy
Advanced

On a die used for casting,due to the extreme heat involved,over time cracks will appear in the die.These cracks will show up on the casting as raised marks where the alloy has cast into the cracks or sometimes a line of alloy will stick to a overly hot part of the die and cause a small fisure in the casting, so if the line is raised above the surface it's nothing to worry about,if it's into the surface it's still not 100% certain to be a crack.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:27 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,271 Posts

Originally Posted by gazzy
On a die used for casting,due to the extreme heat involved,over time cracks will appear in the die.These cracks will show up on the casting as raised marks where the alloy has cast into the cracks or sometimes a line of alloy will stick to a overly hot part of the die and cause a small fisure in the casting, so if the line is raised above the surface it's nothing to worry about,if it's into the surface it's still not 100% certain to be a crack.
Good point.

Run your fingernail over the surface to see if it is raised material or if it is below grade/surface. If it is raised we have an answer if not we can still try to help although these things are never easy to determine through pictures.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:43 PM
JDD
Instructor

I have exactly the same marks on my case without the ding on the bottom so I think we are worring about nothing...

Quick Reply: crank case cracking?????