Sponsored by:

crank case cracking?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Oracle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDD
I have exactly the same marks on my case without the ding on the bottom so I think we are worring about nothing...
You wish you hadn't checked..
Now you'll be worried or "aware" of it

No way I'll check that...
Old 07-21-2009, 08:04 AM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oracle
You wish you hadn't checked..
Now you'll be worried or "aware" of it

No way I'll check that...
Oh go on, you know you want to take a little peek.... just to see...
Old 07-21-2009, 08:42 AM
JDD
Instructor

It would be interesting to know how many of us have these marks and if we lift the car from under the crank case...
Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,271 Posts

Originally Posted by JDD
It would be interesting to know how many of us have these marks and if we lift the car from under the crank case...
Depending on the year of gchristofi's car then we can assume that all cases from his car to at least (your car) should have these marks since it is a tooling related issue. It is possible it continued throughout the entire 964 model run, although it might have gotten worse and tooling was corrected or replaced sometime after your build date.

If I get a chance I will check my 1993 and see if it has the same irregularity.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:31 AM
JDD
Instructor

Thanks Cobalt we appreciate your expert guidance!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:50 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Build date Sept 1990
Engine number 62M03250

Lines are raised suggesting mould lines.
Attached Images     
Old 07-21-2009, 12:00 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
Build date Sept 1990
Engine number 62M03250

Lines are raised suggesting mould lines.

Much better pictures. This tells us a lot more. gazzy was correct in what caused the irregularity. It will be interesting to see if mine looks similar or different.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:58 PM
gazzy
Advanced

The early cars using the dies will have perfect castings, then over time the die will erode and cracks will appear in heat and stress areas.I doubt if there is a car out there without these marks and if there is no oil showing I honestly can't see it being a crack,oil seems to escape everywhere else without problem,if it was a crack it would probably resemble the Exxon Valdez.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:23 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gazzy
The early cars using the dies will have perfect castings, then over time the die will erode and cracks will appear in heat and stress areas.I doubt if there is a car out there without these marks and if there is no oil showing I honestly can't see it being a crack,oil seems to escape everywhere else without problem,if it was a crack it would probably resemble the Exxon Valdez.
I agree with you that once the crack in the tooling occurs it would become part of all castings produced from that set of tooling. The cost of tooling for a part like this is high and unless it was in major disrepair odds are all 964's from the time it cracked forward will have this although looking at the pictures i have of the underside of my C2 and turbo I don't see them, but they are not clear. So it is possible the tooling was replaced or repaired at one point or there is more than one set of tools or one manufacturer used. I am not sure if the turbo uses the same case on the 3.6T. I will check mine, I guess we should ask others to check theirs it would be interesting to see what we find out.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:42 PM
JDD
Instructor

You really need to get under there an look very carefully to see them... I was looking at KIRKF's rebuild to see if I could spot the marks but, I don't see them in the pictures. I would be good to have a larger sample. Anyone care to take a look?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:43 PM
gazzy
Advanced

You are correct Cobalt,dies are expensive and replacement due to heat erosion will only occur when the life expectancy of the die is met,often part sections of the die are replaced as some areas are expected to erode as temperature and high alloy velocities take their toll.Having worked in high pressure diecasting for some years I just wanted to put owners mind at ease that hairline marks on castings are not uncommon and is not something to worry about.You will often find castings to have been shot blasted,quite often a secondary operation to hide die marks, so lets not all panic yet.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gazzy
You are correct Cobalt,dies are expensive and replacement due to heat erosion will only occur when the life expectancy of the die is met,often part sections of the die are replaced as some areas are expected to erode as temperature and high alloy velocities take their toll.Having worked in high pressure diecasting for some years I just wanted to put owners mind at ease that hairline marks on castings are not uncommon and is not something to worry about.You will often find castings to have been shot blasted,quite often a secondary operation to hide die marks, so lets not all panic yet.
Die castings are a bit different from sand castings but the principle is the same. Although Porsche did not grit blast their parts to retain the protective skin that forms during the casting process. It allowed for better corrosion resistance. I agree 100% with you that these imperfections are common and not a cause for concern. In the sand casting industry parts are tooled to remove parting lines, flashing and to blend imperfections followed by a grit blast to make a uniform fnish. In this case it is best to leave it as it came from the mold as you mention.

What made you leave the foundry business? It is one of the tougher businesses to be in today.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Default Update.

I had a chance to do tech on a half dozen 964's including mine and 2 964 Cup Cars the other day. All the cars had the identical markings including my 93 and the cup cars so obviously this was a defect in the tooling that has lasted most of if not all of the production run.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 AM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cobalt
I had a chance to do tech on a half dozen 964's including mine and 2 964 Cup Cars the other day. All the cars had the identical markings including my 93 and the cup cars so obviously this was a defect in the tooling that has lasted most of if not all of the production run.
Anthony, that is fantastic news and very reassuring thanks. (the moment mine seeps oil I'll be sure to let you all know .. )
Old 08-12-2009, 11:59 AM
mada1
Racer

So now we can all look under our cars again...
Thanks!

Quick Reply: crank case cracking?????