Sponsored by:

Another New 964 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:30 PM
tommyz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another New 964 Owner

Wow, where to start. It has to be with a BIG thanks to everyone here. There is no way I could have made it this far without this board. I have even done several minor repairs with help from previous posts. You guys are great!

So I have had the car about two weeks now. I could not be happier about owning a 964. I love everything about it. It has the perfect combination of that older raw sports car feel and modern engineering and mechanics. I look at it often. I drive it several times a day for no other reason than to be driving. I sit in it at night. Even my kids ask to go for a ride a few times a day.

It is a 1990 triple black C2 Cab. More or less it is a stock car. The clutch was slipping when I got it so a new performance clutch, LWF, and a Steve Wong chip (for the LWF issues) are my first upgrades. It needs tires and brakes. Two mods on my list were Big Reds and 17" wheels but I think I will just put some cheaper pads and tires on for now. After the clutch I don't really have the money to do calipers and wheels too. If I don't spend too much on the tires and pads I won't feel bad about trashing them later when I can afford calipers and wheels.

I should have it back on the road by the weekend. With a clutch that was slipping pretty bad I only got a small taste of the power that the car has. I just keep thinking that I am in love with this car and I could only give it about 40% throttle. I can't wait to get in it again.

I did have some pretty bad experiences with my PPI. I had another thread going looking for advice on the results. I will post the details over there because I want to keep this post focused on how absolutely awesome it is to own this car. I love this car!

Here she is. This pic is from the PO. Every time I go outside to take pictures I end up driving instead.
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2009, 06:36 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Conngrats. I have had mine for a a few months and love it at well. It really is a joy and you will look forward to the weekends. and get ready to wash and wax all teh time. My wife started making fun of me because I would drive it then wash it.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

I am getting a PPI now - can you share the link regarding your PPI?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:13 PM
tommyz
Intermediate

Brent - search tommyz in the 964 forum and you will get it. I am not sure how to add it as a link here. I still need to add the details of my PPI results. Maybe I can get that in tonight.

The biggest thing that I can say is that choosing who does your PPI is the one of the most important decisions you will make. Do not take it lightly. I had mine done by a Porsche dealer and it was a 100% waste of my money. They blew it big time! But I got lucky. The real list of items that need to be fixed is very different from what the PPI stated but the cost and my ability to do the repairs is not too different. In hindsight, if I could not find a person close enough to the car that had a good reputation among 964 owners to do my PPI, I would probably pass on the car. But I am a little gun-shy right now so take that with a grain of salt.

I don't mean to scare you!! I know there were many times I almost backed out of buying 964 because of the uncertainty. I am sooooo glad I went through with it. Just make sure that you go to someone that has a good reputation.

If by some chance your car is in PA then I will tell you one place to avoid.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:16 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice looking cab
Old 07-14-2009, 07:17 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyz
The biggest thing that I can say is that choosing who does your PPI is the one of the most important decisions you will make.... I had mine done by a Porsche dealer...
Ewww...

brother -- I grok your pain!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:34 PM
tommyz
Intermediate

- does not even begin to describe it. How do you miss that the clutch is slipping?????? And I don't mean a little bit. I mean I had a hard time getting through the mountains. I don't know who is the bigger dummy in this equation, me or the PPI shop.

Anyway, LWF and SW chip are my lemonade from those lemons. AND...

I own a 964! I own a 964! I own a 964! I own a 964! I own a 964! I own a 964! I own a 964!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:26 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, Tommy! Welcome.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Congratulations and welcome aboard!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 PM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the cab, its beautiful. One question, how do you know its a girl?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:25 PM
tommyz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by psiegel
One question, how do you know its a girl?
I think it has something to do with the way it purrs when I tickle its throttle.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

That looks like Hank Moody's car!

Dwane
Old 07-14-2009, 11:23 PM
reynwerkes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyz
Brent - search tommyz in the 964 forum and you will get it. I am not sure how to add it as a link here. I still need to add the details of my PPI results. Maybe I can get that in tonight.

The biggest thing that I can say is that choosing who does your PPI is the one of the most important decisions you will make. Do not take it lightly. I had mine done by a Porsche dealer and it was a 100% waste of my money. They blew it big time! But I got lucky. The real list of items that need to be fixed is very different from what the PPI stated but the cost and my ability to do the repairs is not too different. In hindsight, if I could not find a person close enough to the car that had a good reputation among 964 owners to do my PPI, I would probably pass on the car. But I am a little gun-shy right now so take that with a grain of salt.

I don't mean to scare you!! I know there were many times I almost backed out of buying 964 because of the uncertainty. I am sooooo glad I went through with it. Just make sure that you go to someone that has a good reputation.

If by some chance your car is in PA then I will tell you one place to avoid.
+1 on the PPI.
I've been a lurker here for awhile trying to gain as much knowledge as possible. Very close to purchasing a 94 C2.
But back to the PPI. I bought a Mercedes E55 and had a PPI done by a reputable (at least I thought it was) independent shop and they missed so many things it wasn't funny.
Using someone who will take the PPI seriously will save you $$$'s in the long run.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:27 AM
ian89C4
Pro

congrats on the car. Looks great! I am down in the Fayetteville area. Are you a member of PCA?? I take my 89 C4 to porsche of Fayetteville and the tech there, Ernie Holstine, is top notch. I bought my car in the greensboro area, but I still had him do the PPI.

Hope to see you and the car around.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:59 AM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, you are right, sounds like a girl. Have fun. Its a great ride, one that you will love the same for a long time

Quick Reply: Another New 964 Owner