Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:05 AM
jeffwe
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Targa Questions

I've got a 1990 C2 Targa.

Few questions about the Targa:

- My targa bar (roll bar) does not have the vertical vent slots in them or whatever they are called. Did someone fill them in when painting previously? I've seen pictures on the web of 964 Targas both with and without the slots.

- My targa top makes so much wind noise that it is uncomfortable to drive in at highway speed. I recently had the top recovered as the top was torn and shredded by previous owner. Can someone point me at a close up picture of how the front seam bead is supposed to sit at the top of the windshield? I think the seam bead might be the cause of my wind noise.

- Are the targa tops from the 911 interchangeable with a 964?

- Who is the best person to repair/rebuild targa tops. One of my locating pins at the windshield header is damaged (threads stripped) and I'd like to see if it can be repaired.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-13-2009, 10:58 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I thought it was the older Targas that had the slots.

Targas are never as quiet as a coupe.

Earlier tops are not compatible.

Dan Pachtel, cartopsinc (or something like that) in NJ is a recommended repair person. He can cross ship tops so you don't lose use of the car.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:22 AM
mr pg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure the front cross beams are still engaged in the 4 small clips after fitting the roof (you can just see them if you look in the right place), as clamping it in position (turning the handles) can cause them to pop out. One of mine has done that twice recently, making a right racket. Never going to be like a coupe though.
My '90 has the slots.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:43 PM
jim_l
Instructor

my '91 targa bar has no slots in it. Dan in NJ seems to be the place in the north east. the front seal might need to be replaced or "reworked" there are also some adjustments that can be made to the cam mechanism. iam still trying to figure it out myself. i just installed a fiberglass aftermarket top that makes the seal easier to see what needs to be cut away. will try to post some pics later. its out for PDR now. BTW the 964 uses a "roller latch" top and older 911's used a " hook latch" and not compatible.

Last edited by jim_l; 07-13-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:19 AM
wolv
Instructor

My targa has also crazy wind noises in the cabin which forces me to drive with the windows open.

Haven't been able to find a fix yet here, but yea, I suspect the seam bead is the cause of wind noise.

It has also started leaking slightly at two points........ drives me crazy.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:11 PM
JoseID964
2nd Gear

Hello guys, I also had a noisy targa. I found at HomeDepot a window s0ft foam seal. It was a roll with one sticky side .75" wide & .5' thick. I placed along side the front of the targa top. You can see on the flat area where it rest along the rubber moulding where it would work best. It is a very soft black foam. When I installed the top the first time it sealed very tight. I just looked at it just now and the foam has changed its shape compressed in certain areas. It has been at least 5 years since I applied it and is holding up very well. I don't fold my top much anymore and leave in the garage when I believe it may not rain. I remember the roll cost about $6 and you could probably do 2 cars. It was a quick fix and is still working.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 AM
doruiacovescu
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can i find some explanation about how to adjust the targa top latches?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:54 AM
NateSaJack
Instructor

wow, that revived an old thread!

I got mine pretty good, i can hold conversations upto 85 - 90 mph (which is what an OPC guy siad was acceptable even when new).

Anyway, Sit in the car and look up. Either side of the clamp handles are allen key bolts, 5mm i think.

Undo them so there loose then have someone outside push the roof down on the front edge. Once your happy nip the allen key bolts back up. Mine were way out on one side and you could see the gap.

Also, as stated above, make sure the front beam is caught by the four clips when it springs forward, they too can be adjusted forwards/backwards if there not pulling the front of the roof down to the beam.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Targa Questions