Sponsored by:

My car is smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009 | 11:09 AM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default My car is smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, i just started it up after sitting for a few weeks and white smoke billowed out on start and a little smoke after 4 minutes of running. Guages are good??
WTF??
help!?
Old 07-09-2009 | 11:17 AM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

OK, it stopped after 8 minutes. Mileage wise it is close to valve adjustment time. Is it obvious by the sound of engine to determine that it is time for an adjustment or should you just do it?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-09-2009 | 11:23 AM
mojo747
Racer

Mine puffs on start up after sitting a while. I also have a tick that bothers me but apparently it isn't bad by air cooled Porsche standards. At least my mechanic doesn't think so. Owning this car has been an adjustment, but I love it.
Old 07-09-2009 | 11:26 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Steve,

Have you checked for leaks? Assuming there isn't any, horizontally opposed engines have a tendency to have oil ooze past the rings upon sitting. I wouldn't worry about it. My 964 cab smoked pretty good when I first started it, after storing it for the winter. After driving it, the smoke is gone.

As for doing a valve adjustment now versus later, the valve adjustment should not affect the smoking.

The bottom line: You should drive your 964 more often.
Old 07-09-2009 | 12:27 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks guys and yes Rob, I should driveit more=what a blast today! Nice weather finally. Is the 15k valve adjustment a must do? How much should it cost?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-09-2009 | 12:42 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Ticking is often a sign of a loose valve. I would follow the 15K mile interval closely. Shop rates differ, keep in mind they will have to remove the exhaust, heater, etc. and do an oil change.
Old 07-09-2009 | 12:53 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

+1 - I would follow the 15K service interval. My cab's motor has been maintained at the interval and its still running well at 230K miles. A valve adjustment at the dealer will cost you about 8 hours times the shop rate. At my dealer, that works about to be $1200 or so. That's why I have decided to learn how to do it myself. My coupe is due for its valve adjustment and I've ordered the necessary gaskets and parts. You can save a lot of money if you have the time and energy to do it yourself.
Old 07-09-2009 | 03:05 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Valve Adjustments are not hard. Make sure you get the entire gasket kit, and follow the torque instructions (only 7 ft lbs) to put the covers back.

You don't need to drop the heater boxes, just the exhaust from the cat -> tailpipe.
If you do it during an oil change, the engine won't even drip.
You might find it easier with the VAS-911 (pardon the blatant plug) as it helps getting the adjustment right, faster.

You can do the whole thing for less than $150.
Old 07-09-2009 | 10:44 PM
tgage
Rennlist Member

Yes, do your own valve adjustment. You'll enjoy it and rest assured if you get stuck on anything you will find plenty of help here!

The smoke was likely caused by oil seeping past the rings. I had that happen on the targa after it had been sitting for a while. If it happens again after just sitting for say a month, then you really need to do a leak down test and that will tell you if you have a more "challenging" issue that needs addressing.

tom
Old 07-10-2009 | 07:12 AM
jonizz
Instructor

A bit of smoke after sitting for a while isn't a problem. Its pretty normal even. Because it's a boxer type engine with dry sump lubrication. When you turn your engine off there is always some oil that sticks on the inside of your cilinders/engine. This oil dries out over time and when you start your engine over some period of time this oil burn because of the combustion.

I hope I explained it right withou too much grammar mistakes.

Quick Reply: My car is smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!