Sponsored by:

Climate Control / AC issues / air flow

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:12 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Climate Control / AC issues / air flow

My climate control acts a bit strange when running AC, in terms of the blower speed and air output from the vents. The fan speeds increase (by the sound of the motor) as I turn up the switch; however, the air flow from the vents does not increase. There is a small amount of air flow, and is cool, but not enough to fully cool the cabin. Until I put the fan speed on the highest setting, and then I get a full rush of air from the vents and instant gratification. It is as if one of the servo/flaps opens up and finally lets the air escape through. This will run this way for a while, but then the flow will drop abruptly, but the fan speed will remain at full. The flow will come and go, as if something is switching on/off open/close. FWIW, the air recirculation button seems to do nothing.
I ran the Scantool test outputs to verify the servos were all working. They all moved open-close (except I could not see the footwell servo - not sure where it is - but I heard it move). The Scantool showed 3 codes for the climate control, all Unknown (I will post the code numbers later if that helps).
I discovered that my AC condenser fan resistor was shot, no low speed operation. I performed that friendly little replacement on Sunday.
I am tempted to swap out the CCU from my other 964 to see if anything changes.
Please Help - this is Critical - we are planning a long trip to Elkhart Lake, WI in a week, and I love my wife, and she can get really cranky in July heat, and....
Old 07-08-2009, 12:13 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

FWIW,
The trouble codes that were present on my CCU, from the Scantool:
Does anyone know what these codes represent?

THANKS

Edit: Found THIS TSB on pcarworkshop
Code 31 is for the drive motors; but they seem to be operating fine under Test Outputs.
Code 41 is for the condenser fan and should now clear
Code 43+46 are related to the rear blower. But the rear blower tests fine at both speeds in the Test Outputs in Scantool

Last edited by DWS964; 07-08-2009 at 12:37 AM. Reason: found TSB
Old 07-08-2009, 03:55 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On mine, to get any significant flow out of the dash vents I have to move the sliders to the left to shut off the flow to the screen and the footwells. Even then, the flow to the left side vents is much lower than to the right side vents.

Quick Reply: Climate Control / AC issues / air flow