Sponsored by:

Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:43 PM
augsburg911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain

I was speaking to a family member of mine who also owns a 964, and he has experienced the same problem with his car, that I am having with mine. The battery will drain down, and not kick over, if parked for 2 or more days. When I turn my car off I hear a faint humming sound. I believe it might be from the after market stereo system, put in by the PO. I am going to use a battery test light to see if this is the problem. My question, has anyone experienced a battery drain (car not starting) after being parked for a few days?

Last edited by augsburg911; 07-03-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:28 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You may be hearing the CCU temperature sensor fan. That has been known to fail in the "on" mode. Try pulling that fuse.

Last edited by dfinnegan; 07-03-2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: CCU not ECU!
Old 07-03-2009, 10:48 PM
augsburg911
Instructor

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a lot of reasons for battery drain. A search here will turn up plenty... How old is your battery?

I was irked a few months ago because my Optima battery was needing a topping off every few days. I keep a battery tender on it but I thought I had just replaced it 2 years before and I couldn't believe it was the battery so I started looking elsewhere. I checked my receipt for the battery and it was 5 years old! I took it back and got a partial refund against a new one and now I don't have a problem unless I let it sit for over two to three weeks.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:39 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,888 Likes on 2,891 Posts

since i just experienced this with my car i thought i should mention:

1. check the interior door light switches in both pillars...are the lights comming on when door is open?...if not they could be shorting...
...same is true for front trunk and front hood light switches

**front hood switch also rests against a small piece of metal when hood is shut and sometimes this piece of metal gets bent downward and does not turn the light off....replacing the pillar switches cured my drain problem..

2. there are several threads about checking draw on battery and you should check that also to help determine source using a difital ampmeter...
Old 07-04-2009, 07:22 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You don't say how old your battery is. You can take it to Sears, and they will test it for you to determine if it needs replacement.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:29 PM
augsburg911
Instructor

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will give them a try. The battery was manufactured 0n 05/2008. I purchsaed a new one, and now I leave the negative cable off, until I can figure what the cause of the drain is from.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokin
There are a lot of reasons for battery drain. A search here will turn up plenty... How old is your battery?

I was irked a few months ago because my Optima battery was needing a topping off every few days. I keep a battery tender on it but I thought I had just replaced it 2 years before and I couldn't believe it was the battery so I started looking elsewhere. I checked my receipt for the battery and it was 5 years old! I took it back and got a partial refund against a new one and now I don't have a problem unless I let it sit for over two to three weeks.
What a coincidence - I just got back from WallyMart buying another Optima Red 35/75 to replace mine from 2005 as it would no longer hold a charge -- even with a trickle charger on all the time.

Marc

Quick Reply: Battery Drain