Sponsored by:

Window Regulator Rehabilitation

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:56 PM
jeffwe
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Window Regulator Rehabilitation

The right side power window on my 964 has been giving me serious trouble....

I removed the door panel and discovered that the window will go up and down under power if I grabbed the bottom of the motor and sort of pulled it toward the interior of the car. However, it would labor when doing this...

Without pulling on the motor it did not move and did not even seem like it was trying.

I have removed the window regulator mechanism and the motor. I've discovered the following:

- The regulator has a wound spring on it that seems like it is designed to help fight against the weight of the window. However even with the motor removed from the regulator the spring doesn't seem to pop the regulator into the up position like I thought it would. The regulator mechanism works but seems to have more friction than it should? I don't know how much it should normally have. Should the regulator spring pop it open when there is no window weight on it?

- The window track attachment to the bottom of the door seems broken. There is a bracket that is bolted to the bottom of the door that meets the window track, but the track is not attached to this bracket. I'm not sure what its supposed to look like when it isn't broken - is there an online parts diagram or anyone have photos?

- When I pull the window up and down without the regulator mechanism installed in the door it moves very easily at the top of its travel. However when pushing it down I encounter resistance. Should it just "drop" all the way down or is this resistance normal?

What kind of lubricant should I use where the window slides in the tracks? What kind of lube on the wheels of the scissor mechnaism of the regulator? What kind of lube should I use on the main gear/regulator teeth interface?

I don't want to waste money and buy a new motor and regulator if I don't have to. Anyone have experience with this stuff?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-17-2009, 03:05 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like your window mech/regulator is worn out. With age the motors fail and the arms and teeth wear.
The coilspring thing is there for resistance it wont push the window up, you souldnt be able to move the window up or down by pushing or pulling on the glass.
Is your car a cab or coupe?
Cabs r more complex.

Quick Reply: Window Regulator Rehabilitation