Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on Newbie in over her head

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009 | 08:31 PM
Banana
Intermediate

Default Update on Newbie in over her head

Quick summary: 1990 C2 Tip passed PPI with flying colors, doesn't always start, but often does if you flip between N and P, also doors will not lock, alarm goes off ***** nilly while driving, horn does not work, ALL sorts of issues in the 5-6 months I have owned her, replaced DME, fixed fuel leak, started checking electrical but had to stop due to my not owning a lift nor having access to one.

Update: After weeks of troubleshooting and still being no where, the best solution seemed to be replacing the Gear Position Switch/Sector Switch. Without any form of lift and no place to acquire one, it was time to bring in a professional and become a nag (and I hate being queen nag). I found a certified Gear Position Switch for $400 (I'm cool I know), found a mechanic and drove the old girl over for that single replacement ... then the fun REALLY began. A few miles from the shop the horn started blowing (and I didn't press it because I know it doesn't work). Initially it would stop blaring when I hit the breaks. I assumed electrical short and figured I could make it the final 4-5 miles to the shop. 2 miles from the shop I could not get the horn to stop blaring at all and it grew louder and louder, when I pulled up they were already outside trying to figure out the ruckus and as soon as they saw a Porsche they knew it was their wacky appointment (its a Porsche only shop), the mechanic pulled the fuse for the horn...something I ought to have done if I was not wigged out and I handed him the the car to pull into the shop. I walked in to fill out forms when the mechanic runs in and asks if there is usually smoke streaming from the dash, I thought this was a really bad joke, alas, NO. I ran out to the car to see smoke billowing from the front fuse box and the happy noise of an electrical fire. I couldn't cry or curse or even laugh it was well beyond the surreal. Its ok to laugh at me I am more zen about my yesterday, it really was a dark comedy. I signed up for 3 hours for them to assess the extent of the damage and I could see clearly crispy cables under the fuse box after we stopped the fire.

Today I am told that the "alarm box" had water in it as if the car had been submerged at some point (I checked carfax long before I even considered the car and it was not listed as a salvage so I am floored and I am not certain where the "alarm box" is as I though we checked that wiring previously in something called an ACU which seemed like something where I would notice wetness). The main harness is now fried, the cables running forward and back are mostly destroyed I am told and its 20+- hours of labor to rebuild the dead wiring. Needless to say I am FAR outside my comfort zone here and I think this surpasses my abilities as a DIY in any way shape or form, it also far outstrips the amount of money I put aside for repairs when bought this car. If I thought I could sell it for scrap and even partially cover my costs on this, I would now. The mechanic is considering cutting us a deal given the extreme cost of rewiring the whole car and I am taking 24 to ponder shipping her to the junk heap.
Old 06-03-2009 | 09:14 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Ouch! Might be worth your while to call one of the Porsche dismantlers listed in Panorama and see if they have a wiring harness for your car. I have no idea on the feasibility of replacing a harness, but it's where I'd start.
Old 06-03-2009 | 09:35 PM
Banana
Intermediate

Already done, its a $2100 part that I have found for $700 with warranty. I am just meditating on the 20 or more hours of work at $100 an hour plus all the other bits and pieces and THEN still sorting out the trans issue and then still probably having a plethora more of issues. I bought the car to make me happy and instead its a money pit and an embarrassment. My husband said NOT to buy an older Porsche, I did it anyway. The cost goes well beyond the money. I am happy to DIY a little this and that but when a car *never* works and then fries out you gotta wonder if the gods aren't telling you something that you had better heed. I am drinking the loo-loo juice if I think its sane to rewire a car that passed a PPI and think that this finally is the end of my nightmare, I wonder if its just the very beginning. I KNEW I should have sprayed holy water on the car to see if it sizzled before I brought it in yesterday. Just really down in the dumps after seeing my beloved car on fire followed by the possibility that it was salvage without ever being listed as such. Just feeling like I made absolutely the worst possible decision on buying this car and let me tell you I am smoking the crack pipe and drinking the loo-loo juice if I think that I sell this car that I won't have a 2nd divorce on my hands if I even consider buying a second Porsche. I going to garb a few and see if I feel any better.
Old 06-03-2009 | 10:11 PM
Warpig
Pro

Originally Posted by Banana
Already done, its a $2100 part that I have found for $700 with warranty. I am just meditating on the 20 or more hours of work at $100 an hour plus all the other bits and pieces and THEN still sorting out the trans issue and then still probably having a plethora more of issues. I bought the car to make me happy and instead its a money pit and an embarrassment. My husband said NOT to buy an older Porsche, I did it anyway. The cost goes well beyond the money. I am happy to DIY a little this and that but when a car *never* works and then fries out you gotta wonder if the gods aren't telling you something that you had better heed. I am drinking the loo-loo juice if I think its sane to rewire a car that passed a PPI and think that this finally is the end of my nightmare, I wonder if its just the very beginning. I KNEW I should have sprayed holy water on the car to see if it sizzled before I brought it in yesterday. Just really down in the dumps after seeing my beloved car on fire followed by the possibility that it was salvage without ever being listed as such. Just feeling like I made absolutely the worst possible decision on buying this car and let me tell you I am smoking the crack pipe and drinking the loo-loo juice if I think that I sell this car that I won't have a 2nd divorce on my hands if I even consider buying a second Porsche. I going to garb a few and see if I feel any better.
Don't have any advice, but I've been following your threads. Got a chuckle from your Holy water comment, particularly since after reading all of your last thread I was honestly thinking you needed to hold an Exorcism for the car. If you decide to have her Exorcised at this point I wish you both well. Good news is I hear these cars are often worth more parted out than they are whole if you take that road.

Good Luck,

Nick
Old 06-03-2009 | 10:44 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Gosh-
I hear your venting, and I can only be supportive as you let it all out. It sounds tremendously frustrating, and electrical fires are a bummer. The trippy part is that you don't really know if you won't have the same problem again do you?

I love my Porsche so much, and I can't really wrap my head around how hard it must be for you, as my challenges have been mainly mechanical, and really only related to upgrades mostly.

On the upside, you have a really neat looking car. I'd love that color for myself. You are also super resourceful. IF you were going to re-do the wiring harness, it is actually a "mechanical" job, as you have to disassemble a LOT of things, and mainly plug crap back together as you go. What better way to get to know a car than this? I forget, do you have a space to work in? I am not sure why you need a lift exactly. I do everything with 4 jackstands and one floor jack.

I can't comment on the marriage thing. My wife is super cool if I can let go and have a laugh... and I can't imagine your husband making it any harder than it is... maybe you can do it together. It's only pride, no?

Downside - the mystery. What next?

My vote (from 1000 miles away) is to forge ahead. I am happy to help find parts or whatever, and to provide smiley faces all day long.

The choice is up to you of course. I wouldn't blame you. I'd rather you have a good experience with a Porsche than you torture yourself. Parts are worth more than the whole, but what a shame to take one down if you don't have to.

FWIW: Here is a similar car... http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/1193586538.html

We wait...
Old 06-03-2009 | 11:30 PM
Oracle
Pro

I've had that same feeling with the 1st porsche I bought... Brand new to me and the next day all crap happened.. I thought of torching the car at some point.
The water in the fuse box could mean the drain was plugged don't fear what you don't know..
My advise is take it easy, learn to work on the car to reduce the expense as much as possible. Maybe you're at the end of the tunnel... and might be the greatest car you own! Be ready to park it for longish periods while you save some $$, these cars aren't cheap to maintain (corolla cheap I mean)

Good luck!
Old 06-03-2009 | 11:48 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Doesn't Carfax have some Buyback guarantee or something? Not to discourage you...but Maybe you can check out that avenue too since you said you checked the Carfax on it.

Wish I could help you out more. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2009 | 12:42 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Was it an aftermarket alarm or factory alarm?

Don't give up !
Old 06-04-2009 | 03:18 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

sounds like the aftermarket alarm was tied in to the DME 15 pwr circuit in the Central Electrics - which could cause a short if it was done - wonkey..
Water in the ACU (alarm Control Unit or i am assuming is what they are calling the "alarm box") is not normally a problem with underdash location of the 90's (saw another one and checked it out).
if the Aftermarket Alarm is the "alarm box" and it was placed under the hood where it could get wet (you never really notice if the truck gets wet esp when you wash it, unless you look for it. the seals are easly misaligned if not glued down or if the fresh air vents in the truck (intake) seals go, etc...).

that would be a weird place to put an aftermarket alarm but if they were doing everything through central electrics then it could make sense i guess in a weird way.

replacing the harness is a PITA due to the amount of stuff that has to come out - even if you use 2nd hand parts its going tobe expensive (20 hrs + i would imagine at least)
if you do it do it for a fixed price.

sorry to hear about the state its in.

if it were me i'd probaly start selling off the parts on ebay - heck the motor is worth 4-7K alone (depending on miles, etc). the ABS controller is a couple of hundred used, DME's are not cheap either.
i'd take the $ and go on a big vacation and when your mentally ready buy something newer with a warranty (at least an aftermarket one, say a 996 Cab or a boxster).

my 2 cents....
964's are great but they can be evil too (after fighting my own Alarm contol unit problem for 4 months and everything else i can say this )
Old 06-04-2009 | 06:17 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

I'm so sorry to hear about your electrical nightmare. Chin up, & hang in there !
Old 06-04-2009 | 09:43 AM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

I find with people, when they (finally) move towards something that they've always wanted it can trigger tremendous (subconscious) resistance. I speak from experience. I went through a lot of drama before finally finding my first Porsche... Even after purchase, it took more drama to sort out the car's issues.

From the few things you've said about your husband and divorce, I'm guessing you may projecting and justifying NOT giving yourself what you want AND finding the car to support THAT! Like those above, I'm feeling for you.

Maybe it's time to re-assess YOUR NEEDS and see if they can be NEGOTIATED with those around you openly.

The things around us are only the mirrors of our internal world...

If you want or desire to explore any of these points further, please feel free to message me.

PZ
Old 06-04-2009 | 12:12 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Yeah definately get more proof the car was submerged and make carfax buy the car back. This is their big claim to fame..
Old 06-04-2009 | 12:33 PM
sundog
Race Director

I feel for you. I bought mine in 2000, for $30K, and within 5 years had done 2 complete engine rebuilds totaling about $24,000 due to sand in the oil tank from a cracked oil breather tube. I'm now very happy with it, and drive the **** out of it.

So sorry for your problems, isn't the alarm system under the seat? If so, look under the car and see if there is any way for the water to get in, holes in the undercarriage, etc.

Otherwise, see if you can trace the history, get any insurance reports on the VIN, and have carfax buy it back.
Old 06-04-2009 | 02:10 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

That is very sad. I would look to cut losses. First try to build a case so car fax will buy it back. Second option is to part it out and you should get about what you paid leaving you with a clean slate. Even if you do not break even, that will feel better than throwing another $3K at it and hoping.

So basically you will be financially and emotionally where started before the whole store began. That is not too bad a place to be. Then you can start looking for another car, no matter what it is, it cannot be worse than the blue devil.

The car is obviously pure evil and cannot be reasoned with.
Old 06-04-2009 | 03:25 PM
ian89C4
Pro

The only thing that I can say is that if you have that feeling that the car is the right one, and it feels like you were meant to have it, then press on. I know I would with my 89 C4, I love the car and would leave it in the garage for months if I had to save up to work on it.
I do know where you are comming from, kind-of. I had a 97 Boxster before I had the C4 and about 3 months later the engine siezed. It turns out that it was the intermidiate shaft, a problem that that year had I guess. Well, I spent around $8K getting a new engine in and then found my C4 and all ends well.
I guess just figure out how much the car means to you, they do say that Porsche's have souls, I know mine does.
I wish you all the luck in the world!!

Quick Reply: Update on Newbie in over her head