1992 America Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 03:14 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar#12
Good Discussion.
i'm probably with you on the Turbo S, Not so much on the Flachtbau however as this is is highly polorizing in the market place as an S2 yes definitly, without the S2 i see them leveling or only slightly increasing...

Cup's.... well time will tell if there is a more recent sale - please let me know who so i can touch base with them. Downward trend is enivetable givent he economy, however my orignal was a forward looking statement, in the next 1-5 years i see prices again increasing and crossing the 100K barrier for nice street examples. Conversly i see the tracked/re-reconvered race spec ones leveling off as these are in a tough multi-criteria market and are weighed down somewhat with the 996 Cup prices (however i see this as a different market entierly). There are 2 types of 92 Cup buyers Collectors and Racers, they are not looking for the same things.

Of course the most collectable of all of them would be the one with less than 500 miles on the clock. Documented ownership history, and something interesting spec'd about it such as Aluminum fenders/doors, special wishes options, etc (there are a few out there..) Etc.

The GS was included as a lark as it is really irrelevent to the conversation at this point but garanteed to be collectable for a number of reasons.

Good conversation all
I appreciate your enthusiasm and hope your correct. I have not seen a street version cup car change hands so this falls into the same category as the S2 and package version Turbo S, not enough info to make a true trend analysis. Timing is everything with their sales and if you get lucky the right buyer might set a new high or the unlucky seller might be stuck selling low if they need to sell quickly. In either case if you already own one you shouldn't be too worried.

The flachbau turbo S is a love hate thing. I myself prefer the package Turbo S car without the slope nose but I have a few friends with flachbaus and they are much nicer in person and IMO far nicer than the early slope nose 930's. Those that own them love them.

I would like to see all the 964's increase in value but can't be so positive anything will be worth anything in the next 4 years. IMO they are some of the finest crafted enjoyable cars made by Porsche. Even my C2 which is sadly depreciating is a fine fun car to drive and offers so much for the current pricing.

Originally Posted by TL-Register
Very interesting how different European markets and Us markets appear.

The Turbo Look Cab ( America Roadster ) is a fix buyer here - increasing prices every year over 10 % you have to pay for a clean car from 40000 Euro ( 52000$ ) to 60000 euro ( 78000 $ ) - most of the AmR come to Europe in the Moment.

Best Performance for 964 ( LHD ) :
RS -Euro
Speedster
Turbo-Look Cab

Turbo 3,6 - hold their prices about 60000 Euro ( 78000 $ )
C4 Widebodys - hold their price around 35000 Euro ( 45500 $ )

Hard to sell : Turbo 3,3
Not able to sell : RS America

For France prices are 10-15 % higher

Cupcars / lightwights are out of reach

wide Regards

Norbert
I agree they are quite a different market place. Although I think a lot of that comes from several reasons.

1) You have a larger number of models that are not available for street use in the US. This takes sales and interest away from some of the models we cherish more
2) Speed limits and laws allow different approaches to street driving shifting some focus away from track use for us and more for your street use.
3) Larger number of ROW cars available and can be traded more readily from one country to another.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:44 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anthony - great points. The last few (4) street cars over the past 5 years have been typically about 15-20% above the converted cars (all andial cars were delivered in street spec by porsche, some did go directly back to andial and re-converted before delivery to the end customer but were offically in the dealers inventory not porsche's (2 that i know of, verified)).

I would love to own an Turbo S Leichtbau even at the cost of US conversion today.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:03 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rob,

In fall of 2007, I met a guy at the track (MMP here in Utah) with a 2000 mile example of a 92 US Cup Car. He purchased it that summer from Seinfeld's collection. He was willing to sell it at the time for $110,000. I gave him your contact info (through Pano) but never heard back from him. Did he ever contact you?

Great car - but one thing did stick out. He did not have the plaque near the glove box that I have seen on other examples (I almost bought one in 2003 for $65K from a guy in Colorado). Is that normal?

Thanks,
-Blake
Old 06-10-2009, 10:37 AM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
3) Larger number of ROW cars available and can be traded more readily from one country to another.
Anthony,

I would have to disagree with you on this one. My experience in Europa was that it sometimes can be very difficult to move cars between the countries even if it is now the great EU. But the German technical inspection can be a .... difficult to deal with. As a result people usually tend to buy ion there own market.

Here in the US you have a total population which matches the EU in total. Therefore you have a market which is bigger and fully transparent. I addition, I have the feeling that the guys in Europa hold more on to there cars where in the US you buy and sell more easily.

Again - just my personal experience base on my gut feel ;-)

Jack
Old 06-10-2009, 01:11 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Great car - but one thing did stick out. He did not have the plaque near the glove box that I have seen on other examples (I almost bought one in 2003 for $65K from a guy in Colorado). Is that normal?

Thanks,
-Blake
I have owned two US Carrera Cups, both of these did not have the plaque attached. In one of the cases, the plaque was never attached and was available to me and in the other it had been stolen from the car. Rob might know better, but it seems the plaque was the original owner's responsibility to put in the car.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:23 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by tropheus
Anthony,

I would have to disagree with you on this one. My experience in Europa was that it sometimes can be very difficult to move cars between the countries even if it is now the great EU. But the German technical inspection can be a .... difficult to deal with. As a result people usually tend to buy ion there own market.

Here in the US you have a total population which matches the EU in total. Therefore you have a market which is bigger and fully transparent. I addition, I have the feeling that the guys in Europa hold more on to there cars where in the US you buy and sell more easily.

Again - just my personal experience base on my gut feel ;-)

Jack
Maybe i have been out of touch. In the early 1980's I helped bring over 70 cars mostly Porsche's from Europe to the US. At the time it was relatively easy to bring them here but nearly impossible to bring them from the US to there. I have seen so many cars leave the US bound for Norway, Finland, Germany etc. I missed out on a beautiful 993GT2 Evo Clone that used all factory parts including gearbox and speedlines built on a 13k mile 993TT. It sold for $70k and had over $120k of extras in it, now cruising the Autobahn. There are constant threads on the 964 turbo forum of cars trading back and forth between the UK and other countries and a lot of Japanese cars being sent to Australia, Canada etc. So based on this I made my comment.

I know Switzerland is very hard to get cars into but I was under the impression Austria, Spain, France etc were not such sticklers. In either case far more of each model was produced for the ROW market not to mention the cars we could never have meet DOT requirements like the 80 or so 1992 Turbo S lightweight, the 993 RS, 993GT2 etc. Since I have found most Europeans put more emphasis on their sports cars than we do in the US these more exotic variants command the biggest premiums over there with the cars like a stock 3.6T being desirable but not collectible considering they produced nearly 1000 vs the 410 in US spec.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:01 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim is correct the Plauque was delivered with the documentation on the car and NOT afixed in place. There is no standard placement for it. i put mine on the passanger airbag cover (dash) b/c that is where my 356's is (it also has an owners plaque from the factory, with the first owners initials engraved on it, this was delivered blank btw according to weldon at G&W, whom was a close personal friend of the orignal owner). Personal preference, Nothing more...

Blake - that does ring a bell however the buyer i have for one wants a 500 mile example (actully there are 2 people waiting for them, neither will buy the sloan car which is a "port" car i.e. never converted by Andial).
Old 06-12-2009, 03:28 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Jim and Rob for the replies. I have seen that Sloan car sitting there for quite some time - now I know why...

A '92 Carrera Cup is still on my wish list. Beautiful cars...

Sorry to pirate this thread. I like America Roadsters as well... I remember seeing a mint example of one at Len Stoler Porsche in Owings Mills, MD back in college ('95?) and it was white with black leather and had Florida plates and a Fisher's Island resident sticker on the windshield. I remember going back to my dorm and thinking, "someday I want that car and that house!"

-Blake

Quick Reply: 1992 America Roadster