Sponsored by:

Confused about engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I replaced stock 964 mounts with black (softer) pillow Wevo's.

They are noticable stiffer and have improved the shifting and the feeling of weight flopping around behind me. Unlike Geoffrey, I did not notice any increased noise. In fact, I have a set of the stiffer pillow (blue) mounts on order.

Marc
Old 05-29-2009, 03:59 PM
AK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same ones that Marc mentioned from Wevo too. My experience is exactly the same. Much less flopping about than the stock dead ones mounts. Noise increase is hardly noticable at most. I do have a G pipe exhaust and that is fairly loud. I would suspect with a completely stock car that you would notice the change but I can't see how it would be objectionabley loud. It is nothing on the order of a G pipe loud.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:20 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

I use the RS mounts in all my 993's and highly recommend them to all the folks who ask.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:35 AM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Fred, a little off topic but since installing my new mounts I haven't lifted my car by the engine case for fear of damaging the mounts. Have you come across another way of getting the rear on jack stands without lifting under the case?
Anyone else heard of this happening?

Also, with reference to "I am going to RS mounts with a braced support." Where and what does one brace?
In the case of Jeffrey, I'm thinking that he had more resonant noise with the WEVO mounts because (I'm assuming) his car is gutted and there is much less mass to absorb any vibration from those mounts.

Here's Ilko's recommendation for jack stands up front - opinions?
Old 05-31-2009, 02:34 AM
CraigC
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put my WEVO black mounts on today and Im very pleased. They go on easy, it took less than 1 hr. My shifting is very much improved. The entire car feels tighter and better behaved, maybe just a VERY slight increase in noise but it is not objectionable especially when compared to the increase in performance.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:21 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CraigC
I put my WEVO black mounts on today and Im very pleased. They go on easy, it took less than 1 hr. My shifting is very much improved. The entire car feels tighter and better behaved, maybe just a VERY slight increase in noise but it is not objectionable especially when compared to the increase in performance.
Where did you purchase and how much?
Old 05-31-2009, 04:20 PM
CraigC
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PorscheZen,
I purchased them from Windrush (WEVO), here is the site http://www.wevo.com/Products/Chassis...isProducts.htm I bought the C2 SS mounts in Black, the Blue is slightly stiffer. They had 2 slightly used ones with 5 hrs on them for a reduced rate. I believe the full price is $145/mount. They are suposed to be comparable to the Porsche RS mounts. I bought them because I had read good reviews and there was a good deal on the slightly used ones. I also had my car up in the air while doing a valve adjust so it was easy to pull the worn out stock ones off and put on the Wevo mounts.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:38 AM
Fred's 964
Racer

Default Engine mount support

Also, with reference to "I am going to RS mounts with a braced support." Where and what does one brace?
PorscheZen, Check the Rennline.com website for info on the 964 engine mount gusset kit.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:45 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fred's 964
PorscheZen, Check the Rennline.com website for info on the 964 engine mount gusset kit.
Originally Posted by CraigC
PorscheZen,
I purchased them from Windrush (WEVO), here is the site http://www.wevo.com/Products/Chassis...isProducts.htm I bought the C2 SS mounts in Black, the Blue is slightly stiffer. They had 2 slightly used ones with 5 hrs on them for a reduced rate. I believe the full price is $145/mount. They are suposed to be comparable to the Porsche RS mounts. I bought them because I had read good reviews and there was a good deal on the slightly used ones. I also had my car up in the air while doing a valve adjust so it was easy to pull the worn out stock ones off and put on the Wevo mounts.
Thanks!

Last edited by PorscheZen; 06-02-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:43 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I like my new Wevos (on my 993) and my son loves his OEM RS mounts (on his '90 964). Price and results are similar. As others have said, both cars are tighter with some improvement to shifting. Noise was not a problem as the 964 has a g pipe and the sound pad delete option (this is the car with the OEM RS mounts). And my car (with the Wevos) didn't seem to have any new noises either.

If you plan to keep the car forever the Wevos are a better choice. You can replace the rubber bushes and have new mounts. I posted a thread with photos on the 993 board. PM me and I will send you a link if interested.

Don't worry about the Wevos being aftermarket. They are beautifully made. The design, fit and finish are exceptional.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:13 AM
M3Porsche964
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wevos also used with excellent results....very slight increased felt roughness at idle but much better that the stock mounts and felt the increased directness of the shifting. A very positive improvement recommended for all.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:13 AM
M3Porsche964
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wevos also used with excellent results....very slight increased felt roughness at idle but much better that the stock mounts and felt the increased directness of the shifting. A very positive improvement recommended for all.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new car and driver has an article about the Porsche electronic motor mounts .
Who will be the first to retrofit them to a 964 ?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:26 AM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
The new car and driver has an article about the Porsche electronic motor mounts .
Who will be the first to retrofit them to a 964 ?
I was thinking the same thing when I read that article the other day. They should bolt in right?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowducman
They should bolt in right?
Dang if I know .

Quick Reply: Confused about engine mounts