Wheel fitment opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wheel fitment opinions

Hello all,

I was told by an indepedent Porsche garage recently that my new rear wheels where too wide/offset too low. Apparently they protruded by about 1/2" and "didn't look right". I was told this over the phone and so didn't actually see what they looked like. Anyway I decided to fit them myself today just to see how far out they where and here are the results:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...r/DSCF0128.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...r/DSCF0129.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...r/DSCF0127.jpg

Am I missing something here ? I'm running 1 degree negative camber on the rear and to me they look ok. I appreciate that they protrude slightly but there are no clearance issues when the suspension is compressed. Here's a pic of what the car now looks like :

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...r/DSCF0131.jpg

Cheers.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:56 PM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I was also told that the offset on my rear wheels we also too low but as with you I'm running around
-1.5 degrees camber in the rear and there are no clearance issues at all and my car is sitting pretty low. My guy did concede that everything appeared to be fitting okay and that he could see no issues other than the offset was not what it was "supposed to be" These pics of my car are very similar to your wheel position relative to the arch and on hard cornering or full compression I've had no rubbing.

Neil
Attached Images   
Old 05-17-2009, 02:37 AM
Oracle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it's a bit too wide..
If you haven't driven the car hard you won't know there is anything rubbing (according to me).
If they look good to you then they're good.. proably that porsche garage is just jealous
Old 05-17-2009, 03:42 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talat,

It looks close but I wouldn't go as far as to say it doesn't look right. The possible contact area is at the top of the rear arch since there is normally a good half inch lip there - unless the arches have been rolled. Do you know the ET on the wheels?? My guess is that the wheels may be designed for a NB car and the turbo body uses much higher (i.e. ET61) offsets with the turbo trailing arms. What size tyres do you have on them??

Dave
Old 05-17-2009, 06:39 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

What size are your wheels and what is the offset? I'm running 18x10 et64 on my C2 turbo and they fit fine. I did try some 19x11 997 Carrera wheels and they stuck out @ .5".
Old 05-17-2009, 08:27 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at one of your pics (below), I would agree they are a bit too far out but if, as you say, you've no rubbing issues then you should be OK. Pushing the car hard on a track might cause some issues though.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:32 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

What are the wheel sizes, offsets and tire sizes? You might want to check the right rear wheel to see how close the tire comes to the oil line.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Agree that the left side of the car looks worse then the right side in the pics but looks ok at most angles. We jacked each corner onto a 4 inch block of wood and then dropped the jack - this put the wheel right under the arch and there was plenty of clearance on both sides i.e. I could get my fingers between the arch and the tyre quite easily.

The rear arches appear to be rolled and the wheel specs are 10.5J ET47 running 265/35/18 rubber. RH recommend 10J ET54 - I can rebuild the wheels to this spec but the cost of it will make it uneconomic - hence I'll probably stick with these since they certainly look the part imo

I need to lower the rear at some stage and this will mean getting the geo redone - may then go for a little more camber on the rear.

Cheers.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:56 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Since you are running 10.5, I think you are probably spot on. IIRC, the largest wheels that the 964 widebody can accommodate is a 10.5". You can probably go to a custom fitment with lots of trial and error and run a 11", but I don't think it is worth it.

Quick Reply: Wheel fitment opinions