Sponsored by:

question regarding fitment of clear front lenses

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:34 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,899 Likes on 2,895 Posts
Default question regarding fitment of clear front lenses

now that i have had a chance to stare at my new avatar photo, the front orange turn signals have to go.

i looked on ebay and found a set of complete front clear turn signal housings/lenses and marker lights for $98

the decription mentions this for installation:
(This listing is for a set of brand new front signal and marker lights. 2 left and 2 right. Fit 89-94 964, 965. These are Euro style lighting, when installing on US car on certain year required slight sanding/very minor filling of the mounting tabs holes on the bumper either with sand paper or hand files.)

does anyone here know exactly what has to be done to the mounting tabs in the bumper and will this have any effect if i want to remount the original orange lights??

**also is it possibly to just purchase the lenses themselves and will they mount on the existing oem turnsignal housings??..where can just the clear lenses be purchased?
Old 05-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

The reason they sugguest doing that is that if you don't, the amount of pressure you will use to get them in place might break the tabs.

Rather that doing anything to the bumper I just sanded the tabs in the lights a little... put some white grease and in they went without problems...

...and, of course I broke the first one by not knowing about this...

Old 05-14-2009, 12:45 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

On my old car I ended up filing the tabs on the clear lenses, not the bumper. You take about 1mm off and they will fit just fine. You will also need some amber bulbs.

I remember someone posting a link where you can get the clear lenses cheaper, but I may be mistaken.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
On my old car I ended up filing the tabs on the clear lenses, not the bumper. You take about 1mm off and they will fit just fine. You will also need some amber bulbs.

I remember someone posting a link where you can get the clear lenses cheaper, but I may be mistaken.
Back when I got mine Rennspd.com had the best deal at 125.00... looks like they still do at 98.00 (964 Clear lens)

Edit... did find one for 75.00 but I do not know the company...
Clear Lens

Last edited by Wachuko; 05-14-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Found one lower...
Old 05-14-2009, 12:59 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Yeah, I got mine through Rennspd as well 2-3 years ago. But I think there was another place that sold them cheaper. Oh well...
Old 05-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an eBay set (maybe from Performance) for about $100 - and then sent them back. I realized after I got them that the silver inside was just dull paint, while the better ones have a chrome-like coating. I bought the Dansk ones from Pelican at about $150. I think they look much better.
Regarding the fit, I think I did do a little sanding on the tab, and I had to drill out the boss for the side marker light, I think. It's been a couple years and I can't remember yesterday. But it wasn't a big deal. They get Humphrey pretty excited, as you can see. of course, a lot of things do, especially Tessa.

Get the bulbs with the silver coating that are only amber when they're on. Completes the look!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:23 AM
a thompson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine from rennspd too. Just grind the tabs, I used my dremel took about 1 minute per lens, then they slid right in.

Andy
Old 05-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I managed to pick up a pair brand new at Hershey (from a private seller) for $80 - no tax or shipping (except I had to drive there - but that was so much fun as a road trip with the boys it doesn't count).

I don't know the brand - but they have the "proper" metalisizied backing and fit without any modification - but perhaps I was incredibly lucky - or strong? : )

RK
Old 05-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Cheaper at ZIMS....
Did exactly what ILKO and Jamie did.
I modified the Porsche bumper deletes as well.
PICS are coming!
Old 05-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on the fence about the bumper deletes - pros and cons from those who have done it or decided against?

RK

PS. d954, those black headlight rings look great!

PPS - funny how many of us with clears haven't yet updated our Avatars!
Old 05-16-2009, 09:57 AM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

No affiliation but Pap-parts have it for $39 each. Its a local company here and I picked mine up from them. They do mail order.

http://www.pap-parts.com/products.asp?dept=3260
Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 AM
fat cab
Pro

does anybody what to sell your amber lenses,that are in some what good shape?or trade for my clear lenses?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Logan964C2
Instructor

RK: If you are still on this thread, can you let me know where in Toronto area you sourced the Amber bulbs to go with your clear lenses?
When I did mine, I was only able to find the 'larger' of the bulbs in amber. I didn't want to order online (no particular reason other than I was excited to get the clear lenses installed and didn't want to wait another week for bulbs to arrive). I have attached pictures of the two bulbs. The larger one I believe I got in amber without difficulty from Partsource. The smaller one they did not have and I couldn't find locally (Cdn Tire, Princess Auto, etc...). Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the bad camera phone picture.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by Logan964C2; 06-05-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:48 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I used Stealth Bulbs. Silver when off, Amber when on. You can get them through Pelican or direct from Stealth Auto http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/STEALTHBULBS.aspx You need a pair of 1157's for the turn signals, and 194's for the marker lights. They are $29.00 per pair.
The 1st time I used them at night, I would swear, that I still had my Amber lenses.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:02 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Zims - $60
http://www.allzim.com/acatalog/copy_...n_Signals.html

There is a post on where to get the stealth bulbs cheap, also a part number for the clear bumperettes too.

Quick Reply: question regarding fitment of clear front lenses