Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing side tinware and valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think your alone, I would say that many of us that have a full service done with valve adjustment have not got the full treatment, it's just to much trouble removing the rusted exhaust bolts.
Its a sorry state but does add to the argument to do all the work on these cars yourself, with the help of rennlist of course.

By the way nice job on the tin ware, one more job to add to my growing list
Old 05-15-2009, 02:28 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crystal Cranks
I don't think your alone, I would say that many of us that have a full service done with valve adjustment have not got the full treatment, it's just to much trouble removing the rusted exhaust bolts.
Its a sorry state but does add to the argument to do all the work on these cars yourself, with the help of rennlist of course.
I agree and what I didn't mention in the first post, is that while the engine capsules and Cat heat shields were off I gave them a thorough wash with degreaser to remove all that old oil. You wouldn't get that done in a service.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

thanks for this Steve .... did/should you coat anything on the gaskets?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:48 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It appears you didn't get a valve adjustment let alone a wash. No way they did a valve adjustment with the cat still on. They ripped you off and that could cost serious money down the road. They say valves on 964 get tighter (quiet) when out of adjustment. I would be pissed. Yes, do all the work yourself.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:17 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced all the exhaust and cat flange with stainless bolts and fastened them with steel K nuts (nuts of that type anyway). Should undo whatever the weather.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:59 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by HiWind
thanks for this Steve .... did/should you coat anything on the gaskets?
Nothing on the gaskets Matt. However a lot happened since posting this thread. The new billet covers still weeped a bit which was caused by the channels for the gaskets being too deep so they wouldn't seal fully when torqued correctly. This was resolved by skimming the covers. Now they're leak free and nothing needed except for clean gaskets.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:01 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by greg1990964
It appears you didn't get a valve adjustment let alone a wash. No way they did a valve adjustment with the cat still on. They ripped you off and that could cost serious money down the road. They say valves on 964 get tighter (quiet) when out of adjustment. I would be pissed. Yes, do all the work yourself.
Thanks for the concern Greg but his thread is very old and a lot has passed under the bridge since then, including a full engine rebuild by one of the most respected indys in the UK.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:05 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Nothing on the gaskets Matt. However a lot happened since posting this thread. The new billet covers still weeped a bit which was caused by the channels for the gaskets being too deep so they wouldn't seal fully when torqued correctly. This was resolved by skimming the covers. Now they're leak free and nothing needed except for clean gaskets.
right I remember that now Steve ... hope the Rennline ones work out better - i think the reviews have been good

keen to do the first valve adj in the next few months - and just to make sure all the
rockers etc.. are ok ... the tin removal looks like it'll help alot
Old 02-07-2014, 05:49 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
The new billet covers still weeped a bit which was caused by the channels for the gaskets being too deep so they wouldn't seal fully when torqued correctly.
Any chance you happen to know your engine serial number? I just found an interesting TSB for the original valve covers...
Old 02-07-2014, 11:20 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Does it apply by MY/year?
Old 02-08-2014, 08:44 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Any chance you happen to know your engine serial number? I just found an interesting TSB for the original valve covers...
Yes of course. I've sent it to you by pm.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Cosmos99
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas

Can you enlighten the rest of us on this TSB? My factory valve covers where shot!

Quick Reply: Changing side tinware and valve covers