Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st post...semi-new owner... An unfortunate stain-on-seat issue.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 01:14 PM
HardTarget
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st post...semi-new owner... An unfortunate stain-on-seat issue.

So I have been lurking the forum here for a few months to gain some user insight to the wonder that is the 964

I've (fortunately) been gifted a '94 C2 convt w/ only (now...after a 500 mile drive yesterday ) ~51200 miles. Mechanically in fine shape, although I will do a complete brake/gear/engine fluid change, and need to learn how to do valve adjusting...etc etc etc...I'm a DIY-er(short of engine teardowns) at heart... The C2, prior to my drive yesterday, only had ~400 miles put on it since 2003(or was it '05) I believe... Exterior could be in better shape - nicks and scratches in the armor unfortunately...

Aside from going into more of its history...there is a bit of an issue with a stain (perhaps a growing one) on the passenger seat! I believe it is some sort of mold...no idea how water would have caused this (car has been garaged entirely). I'll snap some photos to post. There appears to be a little water damage on the seat separate from this stain from years back...totally different shade though. Am I SOL? Seat is tan leather.(heated) Stain (slight green to the tan) in question is only on the cushion, not the bolster.

Q's:
Preferred leather cleaner for these seats?
Can the seats be easily dismantled or individual pieces replaced?
If the original color is lost for good, any way to realistically change the cushion's color?(if I wanted to do both the fronts centers) Say...black? hah

I'd like to be in touch with any DC/VA/MD locals if there is a regional forum of sorts. Been mainly involved with the VW scene (TDI at that...I like my 320ft/lbs tq and 45MPG )... Always down to be in touch with other gearheads!
Old 05-03-2009, 01:31 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

welcome to Rennlist! Post pictures !
You might want to go to the Perf.and Comp. section then concour area. Maybe they can help you more
Old 05-03-2009, 01:57 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a guess, but if it is a mold/mildew, there are mildew removal compounds out there. I would try a very mild bleach/water mixture on a corner and see what happens. I have the same issue in the headliner of a convertible in Oregon (lots of wet).
Old 05-03-2009, 03:27 PM
HardTarget
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimq
welcome to Rennlist! Post pictures !
You might want to go to the Perf.and Comp. section then concour area. Maybe they can help you more
Originally Posted by tbennett017
Just a guess, but if it is a mold/mildew, there are mildew removal compounds out there. (lots of wet).
Didn't even think to look in the concour section...indeed.

I'd be hesitant to use any bleach, but it is certain to kill the mildew if that's what it is.

Hope to snap a few shots in a minute.

There's a good bit I am trying to sort out on the car for down the road...fact I am just learning the 'new' M1 15/50 isn't necessarily good for the 'old' C2! Looking for a local source of the proper fill...anyway...

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2009, 06:25 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will be stepping into an amusing maelstrom if you ask about oil. Search here. I use Brad Penn 20W50, which is available from various suppliers. I get mine from Rennsport 503 244 0990
Old 05-03-2009, 08:24 PM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gift? Do tell. And pictures please.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:51 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HardTarget
I'd like to be in touch with any DC/VA/MD locals if there is a regional forum of sorts. Been mainly involved with the VW scene (TDI at that...I like my 320ft/lbs tq and 45MPG )... Always down to be in touch with other gearheads!
I think this is the local online Porsche hangout.
http://www.dorkiphus.net/porsche/

You can also try the Founders PCA forum for local info.
http://forum.pcapotomac.org/
Old 05-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on the gift.

do join the PCA.org (Porsche Club of America). The Potomac region is very active and huge in size. there is also the Chesapeake region. All depends where you are.

I got one of them tdi's too. right now it is waiting for an auto to manual conversion. just too lazy to get it done.

Quick Reply: 1st post...semi-new owner... An unfortunate stain-on-seat issue.