Hot engine = low oil pressure = warning light

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:29 PM
nine64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hot engine = low oil pressure = warning light

Hi all,
my car have develop a strange behavior. When i am in traffic the car get really hot, some time about 3rd line on oil temp (around 10 o'clock position). When i put the car is in D the RPM will dip a bit and the oil pressure will dip very low as well then the oil pressure warning light will come up. after i give a about 1.2k rpm the warning light will go away. This never happen till recently.
where should i start trouble shooting this problem?
regards
tenn
Old 04-28-2009, 12:49 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd check:
  • The oil level
  • The thermostat
  • The oil cooler

It's unlikely that your oil level is low enough to effect the cooling capacity, but it's worth checking.

The thermostat is in front of the right rear wheel and should open right about at the 8 o'clock mark on the oil temperature gauge. I watch the temp gauge when the car is first warming up and regularly see the gauge get to the 8 o'clock mark and then drop noticeably as the "cold" oil from the isolated oil cooler lines gets drawn in with the opening of the thermostat.

You should also be able to feel a temperature difference on the front right fender a bit behind and below the head lamp. This is where the oil cooler is mounted and this part of the fender should be warmer to the touch then the other parts of the fender, or front hood, once the thermostat is open and the warm oil is flowing.

Finally, there is a two-stage fan on the oil cooler. When the temperature gets around the 9 o'clock point on the oil temperature gauge the oil cooler fan should kick in. You may be able to hear it from outside the car in the area of the front right fender. You can alos place your hand under the right front fender/bumper just in front of the right front wheel and feel the air blowing down.

Up around the 10 o'clock mark on the oil temperature gauge the fan should kick into high speed and you should definitely be able to feel that air blowing.

The thermostat insert can be replaced if it has gone bad.

The oil cooler fan has a temperature sensor, a ballast resistor and a relay. The sensor and resistor are mounted at the cooler. The relay is in the fuse panel. The relay is easy to check as you can swap it with the AC cooler fan relay.

Check the functioning and if you need diagrams, part numbers, etc you can post back and we can provide more input.

Cheers
Old 04-28-2009, 12:50 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Also, the user manual indicates that it is okay to see the low pressure warning lamp come on occasionally when the car is hot. It would make me uncomfortable, but if it's rare, it may not be an issue.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
I'd check:
  • The oil level
  • The thermostat
  • The oil cooler
  • The oil cooler fan

It's unlikely that your oil level is low enough to effect the cooling capacity, but it's worth checking.

The thermostat is in front of the right rear wheel and should open right about at the 8 o'clock mark on the oil temperature gauge. I watch the temp gauge when the car is first warming up and regularly see the gauge get to the 8 o'clock mark and then drop noticeably as the "cold" oil from the isolated oil cooler lines gets drawn in with the opening of the thermostat.

You should also be able to feel a temperature difference on the front right fender a bit behind and below the head lamp. This is where the oil cooler is mounted and this part of the fender should be warmer to the touch then the other parts of the fender, or front hood, once the thermostat is open and the warm oil is flowing.

Finally, there is a two-stage fan on the oil cooler. When the temperature gets around the 9 o'clock point on the oil temperature gauge the oil cooler fan should kick in. You may be able to hear it from outside the car in the area of the front right fender. You can alos place your hand under the right front fender/bumper just in front of the right front wheel and feel the air blowing down.

Up around the 10 o'clock mark on the oil temperature gauge the fan should kick into high speed and you should definitely be able to feel that air blowing.

The thermostat insert can be replaced if it has gone bad.

The oil cooler fan has a temperature sensor, a ballast resistor and a relay. The sensor and resistor are mounted at the cooler. The relay is in the fuse panel. The relay is easy to check as you can swap it with the AC cooler fan relay.

Check the functioning and if you need diagrams, part numbers, etc you can post back and we can provide more input.

Cheers
^ What he said
Old 04-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was covered in a thread recently and is nothing to panic about as long as the pressure comes back up with revs.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:21 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is all true, but I would check to be sure that your cooling fans are working properly. When the car is hot, confirm that the cooling fans are running (Right side is the oil cooler, Left is the A/C).

Another thing to try is if you put on the A/C, it forces the oil cooling fan to function too. Search for Oil Cooling Fan on search. There is a lot of discussion on making this work right.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:25 AM
nine64
Racer

guys thanks for the feedback so far, i will check and report back.
i always have air con on.
what i worried about mostly is the temp keep creeping up, hence the warning light come on pretty much every time. i will take her out today and see what happen.
thanks
tenn
Old 08-25-2009, 12:42 AM
nine64
Racer

Hi guys
just want to report back.
Problem solve! clog oil line. clean the oil cooler and replace with new oil line. Temp dont even go half way now even in hot and heavy traffic in Bangkok.
many thanks

Quick Reply: Hot engine = low oil pressure = warning light