Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can you tell if the engine is overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:27 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can you tell if the engine is overheating?

Is oil temp a good indicator?

My old air-cooled Kawasaki used to have an oil cooler, and is there such a thing for the 964 to help keep temperature under control? I live near the equator in the city, so fairly stop-start driving over here.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:47 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Your engine is air & oil cooled. Your oil cooler is located in the right front fender, and comes on when your thermostat opens. In addition, your rear spoiler can be raised manually to help cool. There is a 2 speed blower in the engine compartment, which also aids in cooling. Taking off your rear underpanel, will also help some. If your oil temp. gauge is getting in the red zone, your oil is too hot.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 AM
jneteler
Racer

The oil cooler is located under the right front fender. Touch the fender about 20cm behind the headlight and 20cm from the top of the fender and it should feel warm after a 20 or 30 minute drive. You can compare it to temperature of the bonnet or door.

The oil temperature guage readings will vary from 8 - 10+ o'clock driving in tropical conditions.

If you are driving in stop and go conditions, it would be best to manually raise the spoiler with the switch on the console to improve the cooling. Otherwise, it can easily slip up into the red zone in our climate.

If it gets into the red zone, stop at the first Kedai Kopi for a teh tarik and let it cool off.

There was a thread here recently with a diagram of the temperature guage and values for each of the markings.

Also make sure that you have an adequate amount of oil and know how to check the level properly. (Hint: The procedure is very different from your Honda.)

Regards,

JNeteler
Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Oil Temp Guage w/ temps

Oil Temp Guage with temperature markings
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also believe the fan on your oil cooler (right front fender) has two speeds as well.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:01 AM
dynogyno
Instructor

dfinn.....I have learned more from you in 6 months than I did in college and med school combined! You da MAN
Old 04-28-2009, 10:12 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dynogyno
dfinn.....I have learned more from you in 6 months than I did in college and med school combined! You da MAN
Well, thank you very much!

However, I'm really just a parrot! I needed to learn to work on my car in order to own it. And, having never wrenched a car aside from the odd oil change in my youth, I read this forum very carefully and take copious notes.

Most of what you see me posting is just the info I've gleaned from others. Sort of my way of paying it forward. I've received a lot of help from the good folks on this board and I really appreciate it. So I try to give back where I can.

I've also found that searching for answers, whether I get them out before the really smart guys around here, or not, benefits me greatly, and enhances my knowledge of the car.

When I bought this car four years ago, my first Porsche, I knew that I'd really love it. I was, however, unprepared for the effect it has had on me. The wrenching, driving, sights, sounds, smells, asthetics, the whole package really touched a nerve. Great stuff!

Cheers,
Dave
Old 04-28-2009, 12:30 PM
nine64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi,
How hot does your car get after about 30 min of stop and go traffic?
just want to compare to mine.
regards
tenn
Old 04-28-2009, 05:01 PM
dan79brooklyn
Advanced

90 degree fahrenheit in NYC idling with AC on: the car never gets above 1/2 way on the gauge (9 0'clock).
My 1979 SC would get very close to the red zone in traffic, the 964 is much more capable at dealing with high temps (credit to the radiator style oil cooler with fan) plus the AC does work pretty well!

Quick Reply: How can you tell if the engine is overheating?