Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS and accelerometers

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took both accelerometers out of the car today and had a good look inside. One of them was definitely a little "sticky", having trouble returning the central sprung arm to the central position if moved gently to one side. It seemed that the bottom of the sprung arm was catching on the printed circuit board at the bottom so I gave it a good spray with contact cleaner and agitated under the arm (not mine I hasten to add) with a small brush. After this treatment the sprung arm returned to the central position quite freely.

I gave the other unit the same treatment and put them back in the car. I feel like a gynocologist putting those things in!! There's not a lot of room is there??

I think I'm going to assume for the moment that the problem (at least of the accelerometers) is fixed. I'm less inclined to spend more money on getting the ABS diagnosed - and I still don't understand why a reluctant accelerometer would render the ABS completely non-functional (with no warning lights) since I expected the wheel speed sensors to play a more significant part. Perhaps I'll wait untill winter and take the car out on an icy day to test it!!!

Thanks Dave F for the lead on the used accelerometers but the guy has not yet got back to me.

Thanks everyone for all your help and insight. Rennlist is such a great place!!!

Regards

Dave
Old 01-28-2010, 03:51 PM
MA Shaw
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to figure out if this is one of my problems with the warning lights as well. However, I can not figure out the location of these sensors (C4), and how to access them. Been searching, but can't seem to find any pictures that show how to get to them.

-Don
Old 01-28-2010, 04:21 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They are on the passenger side of the center console, between the shift lever and fire wall. There should be a screw that holds a small door on. Do a search, there is a pic floating around of the location and the orientation of the two sensors.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:26 PM
MA Shaw
Former Vendor

I actually found the orientation of them. It may sound like a stupid question, but are they accessed through the bottom of the car, or through the interior of the car's cabin?

-Don
Old 01-28-2010, 04:57 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MA Shaw
I actually found the orientation of them. It may sound like a stupid question, but are they accessed through the bottom of the car, or through the interior of the car's cabin?

-Don
Interior of the car - on the side of the transmission tunnel, roughly next to the center console switches.

Here you go - I've dug out a picture of my interior. It's on the right hand side of the tunnel (so driver side for me, passenger for you) and I've circled roughly where it is.
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2010, 03:32 PM
MA Shaw
Former Vendor

Thanks for the picture. I am always a visual person, so this helps out a lot

-Don

Quick Reply: ABS and accelerometers