Sponsored by:

The deepening "tune up"

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:17 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The deepening "tune up"

So I started that list of projects, you know the one... new plugs, caps, wires, rotors etc... but it invariably gets deeper. I decided to re-do the chain tensioners, which is a whole other ballgame. This requires that the engine tin come out at the back, A/C compressor comes off, (and the bracket) which means the engine needs to be un-mounted at the rear crossmember....supported on timbers from below

All of this brought up that I need new engine mounts (both have sagged completely) and to take off the A/C bracket means either the pulley has to come off, or all of the studs need to come out so it can slip down behind. Can you say Hassle? yes you can!

But yesterday the re-assembly started. I am not done, but the bling has begun...I prepped and painted the tin in battleship gray (so I can see any oil stains on them) and also check out these billet valve covers... (Got them from Steve W of Rennsport, who is my Porsche Sensei. I am going to have to put in a lift-kit under my C4, so everyone can see these gems. I hate to get them dirty! Tonight I am going to polish my A/C bracket to a high gloss before I put it back on...

And what is WITH the routing of the plug wires for the top left... Do you have to remove the intake to get to the wire mounts (the screws that hold the wire set to the back of the fan shrowd) They go across the back, and then through some very interesting places under the fuel rail under the air box... wow.. not a half-hour job is it?
Attached Images    
Old 04-16-2009, 01:26 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Damn! Those are purty!
Old 04-16-2009, 02:00 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bling to the bling blingth degree.

I thought I was the only one with the ever expanding to do list.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:34 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueHeeler
I thought I was the only one with the ever expanding to do list.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:38 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was it easy to get the rear engine tin off so long as you undid the engine mounts and dropped it a little?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:45 PM
bwoodry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn those look great!!

I just had the valves adjusted yesterday,, could have had those covers installed!!

Next time ,,

Steve at Rennsport is great,

Quick Reply: The deepening "tune up"