Rennlist membership

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:28 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ACSGP
Don't tell me IB also owns Rennlist now. There's been quite a bit of fuss over on AudiWorld on the changes imposed.
Holy ****! I haven't been to AW in a while, I bet the regulars are loving the vBulletin format
Old 04-15-2009, 11:49 PM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Holy ****! I haven't been to AW in a while, I bet the regulars are loving the vBulletin format
The rebels aka the Off Topics guys started quattroworld.com using Kawf.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:05 AM
IB Member Support
Membership Helper

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey gchristofi,

Maybe you can help us out as that is not a message that we sent out from our end. If you could forward the email to rennlistadmin@internetbrands.com or, if it was a PM, forward it to this username? We'll look into it and see how the heck you got that message.

To dfinnegan,

You hit the proverbial nail on the head as it is all about the members who make Rennlist great. For me, Rennlist is like a great city in which its charm depends on the character of its citizens. I'd hate to see New York or Los Angeles empty of its people.

Also: no, you don't have to be a premium member to enjoy the deeper value of this site, the community (as dfinnegan said). I often tell members whose upcoming memberships are about to lapse, that if they choose not to renew their membership, we hope they continue to come and enjoy giving and receiving great opinions and advice.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:42 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps I'm missing the point - but what is the logic in preventing non-members from searching?

They can still post questions. So all it means is : Instead of being able to search and find the answer for themselves, they are forced to start a new thread with a question that may well be very common and answered a 100 times before. And the typical answer is likely to be a member performing a search and providing a link to an answer.

Unless I'm missing something, being a non-member seems a slightly easer life!
Old 04-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK
Perhaps I'm missing the point - but what is the logic in preventing non-members from searching?

They can still post questions. So all it means is : Instead of being able to search and find the answer for themselves, they are forced to start a new thread with a question that may well be very common and answered a 100 times before. And the typical answer is likely to be a member performing a search and providing a link to an answer.

Unless I'm missing something, being a non-member seems a slightly easer life!
Especially as the search function seems to have been broken more often than not since IB took over...
Old 04-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

I'm not a paying member. I was going to until the new rules came into play. I have some 'merchandise' that was given to me (by a rennlister). I would like to give it to another rennlister who would use it but can't post it in the for sale thread.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Nine11 - posting ads is a privilege resereved for paying members. If you want to give the parts away you can post them in the Rennlist Recycler forum I believe.

Regards,

Bob
Old 04-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. That wasn't the way it was before, but then a lot of things have changed since then. Thanks for the tip on the Recycler. Never new it existed.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:32 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine11
Thanks. That wasn't the way it was before, but then a lot of things have changed since then. Thanks for the tip on the Recycler. Never new it existed.
I never heard of it either. Time to go look for it I guess.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Recycler? Sounds interesting. A recycler thread in this forum might work better however.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:23 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Originally Posted by IB Membership
Hey gchristofi,

Maybe you can help us out as that is not a message that we sent out from our end. If you could forward the email to rennlistadmin@internetbrands.com or, if it was a PM, forward it to this username? We'll look into it and see how the heck you got that message.

To dfinnegan,

You hit the proverbial nail on the head as it is all about the members who make Rennlist great. For me, Rennlist is like a great city in which its charm depends on the character of its citizens. I'd hate to see New York or Los Angeles empty of its people.

Also: no, you don't have to be a premium member to enjoy the deeper value of this site, the community (as dfinnegan said). I often tell members whose upcoming memberships are about to lapse, that if they choose not to renew their membership, we hope they continue to come and enjoy giving and receiving great opinions and advice.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for removing the confusion around the benefits of membersip.

The original "Paid Subscription Expiry Notice" email came from forums@rennlist.com and the headers show it originating from the rennlist1.internetbrands.com domain. The final sentence is "If you do not extend your subscription, access will be removed."

A copyhas been forwarded to your email as requested. Hope this helps you track down how the message is being sent.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:31 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm still a bit confused on the issue of search.

Is search open to non-paying members?

Also, is there documentation on how the "new" search is supposed to work?

I find it difficult to believe that IB changed the search functionality and intentionally made it inferior to the old functionality. I've been assuming that it is, in fact, superior, but that the use was misunderstood and that adequate instruction would be forth coming. I've looked. I don't see it. Except for the statement that double quoting multiple words is helpful. Which it is. But search is still a real bear compared to what it was.

Any comments from IB? Please.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2009, 02:44 PM
IB Member Support
Membership Helper

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey gchristofi and all other Rennlisters,

I just sent a reply for your email. Again, thanks for the info. As was said in the email, the reason I hadn't even heard of it till one of you guys brought it up was because that message was set in place a long while ago. I'm glad it was brought to our attention, as the message could use a friendlier tone.

As for questions and concerns about search, I asked IB Adrian to post up in here about that as he can offer better input and information than I.

Lastly, Monsieur Rouleau is quite correct that private sales is a member privilege and has been for quite some time. The recycler should be pretty easy to find as it is the first or second forum near the top of the list.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

finnegan - The current search engine is a bit of a band-aid. The original one failed when the database got over 6 million posts and was responsible for slow-downs and outages!

The present search engine is fairly functional but not as good as the original. IB guys are building a new search engine for V-Bulletin which will be released in the next few months. It will have all the features we know and love.

Adrian has posted some hints on how to use the present search engine - in a logical place but I bet nobody looks there. Click on Faqs at the top over every page of the forum

Best,
Old 04-16-2009, 02:57 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Bob,

Thanks. That was most informative. Note that I had looked at the faq, which is where I saw the double quote reference on multiple words.

Oh, and as for members and search, can non-paying members drive search?

Cheers,
Dave

Quick Reply: Rennlist membership