Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monday Morning

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 04:45 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Bikes are scary fun, or scary, and fun. 20+ years and I finally sold my old bike after buying the 911. The 911 goes a long way toward scratching that itch. And provides so much more. Still, it's not a bike.

Howard, it is good of you to stop and help. Too rare these days. I do hope the fellow is going to be all right.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always fancied getting a bike but this really puts me off the idea. For those in the Bay Area this was on HWY 9 outside Santa Cruz, just past Ben Lomond heading North towards 35.

Poor guy wasn't being crazy or anything and actually wiped out on a straight section not a bend. I think he saw a cop car further up and hit the brakes; there was some loose gravel in the center of the road and that probably played a part.

I also wish I knew exactly what to do in these situations as all I could do was keep him still, comfortable and talk to him until real help arrived. It was still a helpless feeling. Maybe I'll look for a first-aid course or something.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I got my centre caps painted and some other cosmetic bits done (pictures once I'm all done....).

Other than that, mostly family/Easter stuff.

Marc
Old 04-13-2009, 05:18 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimq
you need to post some of your cool X-ray for the newbies Geoff
howard, you did the important thing to keep him still, and as comfortable as possible. Having someone there is one of the best things in that situation. Don't move them, or try to remove the helmet.

what happens when 17 yr old kids turn left in front of you

Last edited by hawk911; 05-21-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Sat went to the Brumos museum and Sunday used the lift to help a friend determine where a leak was coming from:

Old 04-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Geoff, I think I remember those pics. Was that on a bike? I know you have told the story before but i can't remember. Still,....absolutely terrifying to think about! --H
Old 04-13-2009, 08:54 PM
hawk911
Race Car

not much to tell, and yes they were up almost 5 yrs ago. 17yr old turned left in front of me. I put it down, and basically ripped my abdominal muscles. No broken bones in the pelvic area; just tore $hit all over the place. The hardware kept things in place until the muscles healed. 12 weeks with no weight on my legs/hips at all. the ball in my hip socket is from 20+ yrs ago when I broke my hip/femur from another cycle crash. So I drive a Porsche now
Old 04-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

While I am no orthopod, looking at the xray I can see 2 fractures of the left acetabulum (hip socket) that extend across to the right sacroiliac joint as well as a fracture of the right ramus (at the front). Probably a diastasis too (separation of the bones in the front centre).

Glad you're okay now and hope the guy Howard helped turns out okay.

Marc
Old 04-14-2009, 11:55 AM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
I have always fancied getting a bike but this really puts me off the idea. For those in the Bay Area this was on HWY 9 outside Santa Cruz, just past Ben Lomond heading North towards 35.

Poor guy wasn't being crazy or anything and actually wiped out on a straight section not a bend. I think he saw a cop car further up and hit the brakes; there was some loose gravel in the center of the road and that probably played a part.

I also wish I knew exactly what to do in these situations as all I could do was keep him still, comfortable and talk to him until real help arrived. It was still a helpless feeling. Maybe I'll look for a first-aid course or something.
There is not a lot you can do in those situations unless you have medical training except wait for help. I am sure the rider appreciated your effort.

If a rider locks up the front tire in gravel it is almost a guaranteed crash.

If you are even considering a bike, I highly recommend taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course. Firstly it is a fun weekend out learning to ride. Secondly you learn if biking is really for you.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Scotty964cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OOOOOOwwwwwww!
Old 04-14-2009, 01:54 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Scott, there's your image for the week :-)
Old 04-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Geoff, when first looking at those pics, the first thing that comes to mind is "Oh my god, he ate his toolbox!!"
Old 04-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Geoff, when first looking at those pics, the first thing that comes to mind is "Oh my god, he ate his toolbox!!"
Pretty sure it was painful then... but that comment is so funny

You are one lucky guy to be able to tell the story and still walk and drive around... ouch!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:44 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Pretty sure it was painful then... but that comment is so funny

You are one lucky guy to be able to tell the story and still walk and drive around... ouch!
Jaime wasnt your lift on the left side of the garage before?
Old 04-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by jimq
Jaime wasnt your lift on the left side of the garage before?
I have it so that I can use it in the single bay (at 115" between columns) or in the double bay (at 128" between columns). And when I am done I put the towers against the wall and claim all the space to store the cars, bikes, and rest of the crap I have in there...

Quick Reply: Monday Morning