Door stop problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:25 AM
jeffwe
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door stop problem

I've got a 1990 C2 Targa.

The driver's door makes a terrible noise and has high resistance when "clicking" into the detents of the door stop.

I ordered a new door stop and went to install it today. I've now discovered that the problem is not an issue with the door stop mechanism but with the door itself....

The door stop mechanism mounts using two bolts to a piece of steel that is spot welded across the opening that the door stop works within. The plate appears to be broken off from the side closest to the interior of the car.

Anyone ever seen an issue like this? I guess I'll call around and see if someone can weld the plate back in place. It seems like this is going to be a pain in the ***.

I'll try to get a photo if the rain ever stops (I live in Seattle).

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-13-2009, 03:42 AM
jeffwe
Intermediate

I did some more searching and it seems I need the "Door stop reinforcement kit".

I believe there is already some damage (possibly a split) in the existing door stop mount at the upper bolt hole. Is it too late for the reinforcement kit to "fix" the problem?

Anyone find a way to repair this? I'm in no mood to replace a perfectly fine door because of this.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-13-2009, 03:36 PM
jim_l
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did you find the details of the door stop reinforcement kit ? please post a pic when you can. my drivers door required a firm push to close. but i thought that was related to the rubber around the top. thanks
Old 04-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Basically, one way to fix it is to remove the fender, cut the 'A' pillar open, reweld the door strap that has broken, weld up the cut, body and paint it, and provided you have not overstroked the door and bent it, you will be good as new. I think a local Porsche restoration shop charged me $300 to fix mine.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:51 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Jeff's problem is in the door itself. Marc has a DYI to replace the stop here w/ pics of the reinforcements
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...ent-guide.html

I can't answer your question about method of repair, though it's come up before.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:01 PM
jeffwe
Intermediate

Yeah, my problem is inside the door. The small sheet of steel that the door stop bolts to in the door is basically becoming detached from the door.

The reinforcement plate I found is Pelican part number: PEL-PP911167

I've removed the stop for now, and may simply rig up some kind of cable based door stop solution until I can find someone that can repair the door.

Jeff
Old 04-13-2009, 08:26 PM
jeffwe
Intermediate

Just so I know what I'm looking at... Anyone know how much (ballpark) the going price is for a door in reasonably good (paintable) condition?
Old 04-14-2009, 05:50 PM
AK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My door has the same problem. Previous owner had a shop MIG weld the split and that held fine for a few years however it split again and made it so that the reinforcement kit will not fit due to the excess weld and it still did not solve the problem of the interior breaking away. I temporarly solved part of the problem by using some washers to span the crack around the door break itself. However, that does not solve the problem of the interior piece breaking loose. I also trimmed the ruber friction stops on the door break so that it opens and closes with very little resistance. Thus not making the situation worse. I did want to maintain the door break final stop so that if the door was to get away from me it would not go completely around and crease the door and/or bend the hinges.

I really think that the only way to have it completely fixed is going to remove the door skin and have a shop weld in a replacement piece out of a thicker guage metal. If only Porsche had spent the extra $0.02 and added probably 8oz to the car this would have never been a problem.

Quick Reply: Door stop problem