Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak from lines between oil therostat and the front wheel arch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil leak from lines between oil therostat and the front wheel arch?

Hi all,

Well, I have an oil leak. Oil is evident on the bottom of the oil thermostat and I initially thought that it would be the culprit, but the car has some oil on the bottom of the rocker covers to about half way between it and the front wheel, which I would not expect if it was the thermostat as the oil should spray towards the back of the car?

Has anyone experienced the oil lines splitting or failing under the rocker cover? Looking at the PET it seems like it's 2 pipes that go all the way to the oil cooler, right? I assume they're expensive to fix as they're the longest in the car!

Thx!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Best to clean and validate where the leak is coming from... since most cars are lower in the front you could have the car leak at the back and running to the front when standing still. There are a lot of hoses in the oil tank area that could be causing that leak.

And yes, those two long lines are the most expensive of the bunch.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Here:

Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Jaime!! I'll get cleaning! Good point about the car being a bit lower at the front. Anyway, I'll clean it all and then wait to see where the oil is coming from.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:50 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

I had this very same issue a few weeks ago including the wetness going half way up the rocker. I cleaned off the thermostat and drove the car for about 20 min to identify the leak. In my case it was hose #21 and hose #46 did not look to good either.

I ended up replacing hoses #21,22,26,30 & 46. Hose #46 takes some work to complete and there was a recent thread covering this HERE. She is bone dry now.

If you plan on replacing any of these hoses yourself then you will be forced into an oil/filter change as well.

Quick Reply: Oil leak from lines between oil therostat and the front wheel arch?