Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Rear Reflector----Progress Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:16 PM
hatchimon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good...there is proabably a way to add an extra light somewhere like a rear fog light, but clear instead of red, for back up.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

I was just thinking of tinting the entire rear lights (all three) instead of just painting the centre section. Problem is that those rear lights are not very bright to begin with.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:22 PM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ilko
You'll fail state inspection in my state if you don't have reverse lights. But the real reason I'd want them on on my car is so that I don't back into a wall when reversing in the dark. If you're not concerned about it, go right ahead.

I'm not a big fan of the painted reflector because the center reflector gives the rear end of our cars a very finished, classic 911 look. Also, at least in the OP's case, the painted reflector doesn't look flush enough with the rest of the body. There are gaps with the bumper, the deck lid, and with the tail lights.

But to each his own.
The gaps are there because of the rear bumper, which needs adjusting---but wont get it because it is being replaced with a euro rear bumper, and if you read the entire post, it states, that the reflector "is not finished yet" It will then have 0 gaps. The center reflector, is in fact, still a center reflector----which means those "gaps" were there before it was painted, so be it white or red, the gaps would still remain they didnt form from me painting the reflector.

Also, those who paint the reflector do it because they want to, not because they "arent concerned" about backing into a wall. I think I can judge the distance between my car and the wall without the little white lights telling me when to stop...besides, I honestly cant think of a time when I had to back up to a wall. To all their own.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:18 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I personally like what you have done and commend you and the others for trying something new and posting it out here for everyone to comment on !! I like the results on the white better then the darker colors..

The rear reflectors have been a issue for a lot of people on this forum from cracking to fading and a lot of solutions have been posted (films, translucent paints and now a solid color)..

thanks goes out to everyone on this board !

John.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:49 PM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Rygg
I personally like what you have done and commend you and the others for trying something new and posting it out here for everyone to comment on !! I like the results on the white better then the darker colors..

The rear reflectors have been a issue for a lot of people on this forum from cracking to fading and a lot of solutions have been posted (films, translucent paints and now a solid color)..

thanks goes out to everyone on this board !

John.
Great words! Thank you, and I agree completely. I have owned basically every make of german car one would typically seek, and of all the Porsche is my favorite. Unfortunately with that, follows 99% of people who frown upon anything not on the car when it was created, IMO---porsche changed things through time for a reason, why not do the same.

Thank you, I will continue finishing the reflector, and post pictures when it is finished.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

I say who cares what others think....opinions are just that...everybody has one and is entitled to one. You take the good with the bad. End of the day, it's your car and you make it look the way you want to.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:31 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

The painted reflector doesn't do it for me personally, but don't let that stop anyone!

And if anybody in/near Boston wants to try it - you can have my old cracked reflector as a base (tail lights too if you want) for pennies.

ps, I love my brand new taillights and center reflector that I just got from Sunset a few weeks ago

Quick Reply: Custom Rear Reflector----Progress Pics