Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

purchase of 964 and drive home to seattle cont...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:36 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,899 Likes on 2,895 Posts
Default purchase of 964 and drive home to seattle cont...

thought it might get buried in my other post so wanted to share...

guys...this is the 5th time time i have purchased a 911 from california.

my previous purchases went very smooth with no hitches...this purchase was a bit different....as previously mentioned i had a friend look at the car for me and had a partial PPI done(rust investigation/compression test)performed.

i gave the seller a list of questions to answer prior to any of the above and the seller assured me all systems worked properly, the original owners manuals, service manual, toolkit, airpump, jack, etc were with the car...i knew the car had a couple of oil leaks...

i paid the seller a $1000 refundable deposit with the understanding that if i was not happy with either the condition of exterior/interior or driveability of the car my deposit was refundable and i would go home.

the owner picked me up at the airport and i drove the car to his office about 10 minutes away...the car ran perfect and tight but i immediately noticed the oil level light and main warning light comming on and the owner turned the warning light off with the switch...he said it just started doing this and didn't think it was a big deal because the oil level remained the same....when we arrived at his office for me to look over the car, i looked in tunck and noticed the original airpump was not there and replaced w/ cheap auto parts store pump...also the climate control fan was shutting off when i tried to raise the temp ****...also the defroster fan was cutting out after a few seconds.

bottom line these items were not disclosed..in hindsight i should have had the mechanic check them over however the seller seemed very straightforward.

we went to his office and for the 1st time in years i felt really uncomfortable about the purchase...i called a friend (mark akers - akers porsche in seattle)and he explained the climate control sounded like a fuse or resistor...i knew the airpump was a couple of hundred bucks and after thinking about it the oil light sender i assumed it has some sort of short or code that will show the problem because the oil was full when i checked it.(BTW, the oil dipstick in the 964 is a hell of alot easier to read then the 993)...i phoned the mechanic who did the exterior inspection and compression test and he remarked that the oil/warning light didn't come on in the shop or when he drove the car.

i explained to the seller that i was really disappointed and either he reduce the price of the car by $1000 or i would need a ride to the airport....he was totally understandable and felt bad about the issues...he had forgot about the fan because he never uses it in los angeles climate and really didn;t think the warning/oil light was an issue.

he reduced the price and we shook hands.

i still felt uneasy about the drive home and leaving his office parking lot i was seriously happy i had towing on my hagerty insurance policy.

the car ran perfect all 1300 miles home from los angeles....when i arrived in seattle, the oil level remained the same the entire trip....the oil level/warning light never came on during the highway runs but would come on when i exited and came to a stop or turned...the climate control heating works great but the fan cuts out after a few seconds and also when i turn the temp **** up.

these are great driving cars that have the early porsche 911 feel that is lost 993...i feel somewhat like a trader saying that but it is a fact.

i know i will have more questions but from reading some threads on the fan issue, i am fairly certain it is a resistor or fuse??

**oil light update: oil warning light has not come on since i arrived in seattle...drove 100+ miles today with no issues...

**i also wanted to mention that the seller is a mortgage broker who is moving out of his office and needed to sell the car...

....on the drive home i visited one of my best friends who i grew up with in NY and is now living in fairfax, ca....he has a green building supply store in san anselmo called "green fusion design center"and after 5 years he is closing his doors and going bankrupt...it was a very sad day tuesday night...i took him to dinner and we had and good talk...pretty hard to holdback the tears considering this was his entire nestegg which is now gone....i did the photos for him when he opened the place in 2003 and it was a wonderful enviornment with great salespeople and terrific customers who understood greg's philosophy and supported it until the economy took a nosedive.......we should all count our blessings and be thankful for what we have and be helpful to those who are going thru difficult times.

thanks in advance,

william
Attached Images  

Last edited by groovzilla; 04-02-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 412 Posts

William, congrats on the purchase and best of luck sorting out the remaining gremlins on the car. Its a looker. Let me know if you are up for getting together for some coffee and a drive soon. Good to see another 964 owner in Seattle!

Jim
Old 04-02-2009, 04:19 PM
john.ratelle
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful color - what is it?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

I agree the car is a looker. I personally don't have any experience with the oil light. Issues sound minor considering you were able to drive the car 1300 miles with no trouble. I would have a mechanic sort out any issues and enjoy the Spring drving season!
Old 04-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

That's a good lookin' 964. It basically has the speed/power of the 993 but with the classic 911 flair and feel. Tis why I love it.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it may be oil pressure.

easiest thing is to change oil to a higher viscosity and see if light stays off.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:40 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,899 Likes on 2,895 Posts
Default oil pressure light update

well the oil pressure light is not comming on since my return to seattle...i drove about 100 miles today with no light at all...i will check the contacts on the wiring some time next week....

**also read some threads that pointed out the oil pressure sender tends to fail and can also be effected by heat and give false readings...

my emissions test just passed with flying colors...

glad to be part of the 964 crew

wm

Last edited by groovzilla; 04-02-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting driving impressions as I had a sweet 1995 C4 with MO30 suspension a few years ago. I owned 2 996s before buying my 1989 C4 in December. I had to go through the whole car and get it right and now I love the way it drives! New tires and a badly needed alignment really helped. Last year a friend let me drive his 1984 911 on the track and I had a ball. That is what made me want the feel of an older car. I think once you get through the gremlins, you are going to be very happy. That must have been tough driving a new car and seeing a friend lose his dream. I hope he gets back on his feet soon! Silver is a great color=time for a new avitar. See if you can replicate your current one and see if anybody notices...
Steve
Old 04-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Livefreeandrive
time for a new avitar. See if you can replicate your current one and see if anybody notices...
haha, thats a great idea!

Quick Reply: purchase of 964 and drive home to seattle cont...