Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My clutch is slipping - anything I should know???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:27 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My clutch is slipping - anything I should know???

Hi Guys

I have had my 1990 C4 for about 4 years now. It has 110,000 km's (approx 68,000 miles). Clutch has never been replaced, although about 12 months ago all the pedal assemblies were refurbished (clutch pedal, clutch and brake pedal bushes etc).

When I was driving the other day, engine suddenly "flared", ie revved quickly as I hit 4,000rpm in 2nd and 3rd gears - ie. when I reached the powerband. This was a little random at first, but the next day, it was much more pronounced. I have taken it to my guys to replace clutch (thought I wouldn't make it, becasue on the drive over there, it was starting to happen much more frequently, in all gears and at various rev points!!!)

Anyway, just wondering if there is anything else that I should think about doing? It's an engine-out job, so I don't expect top get much change from AU$3K (US$4,400) so I'm not looking to spend more money if I don't have to.

Otherwise car is a gem... absolutely immaculate inside and out, 3 owners, only a couple of very small small oil drips (from cylinder barrels and front camshaft and left side cam seal) that are more of a nuisance than anything else.

Cheers
Old 03-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would have them check the rear main seal and replace it. If they have the factory rear main seal installation tool that will make the installation much easier than pounding it in which can sometimes cut the rear main seal.

Quick Reply: My clutch is slipping - anything I should know???