Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low...is Low!!!........at last

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:27 AM
Ant71
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I still have it at the mo, looking at yours I want to keep too! Yea I’ll try and make the next meet. Do you still go to the bird in the hand first Sunday of the month?
Old 03-31-2009, 12:53 PM
Low 964
Pro

Will start again soon, been bad weather etc........
Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 AM
bfrank1972
AutoX

Looks mean - how's bump steer?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Low 964
Pro

I read loads of stuff from all sorts before I decided on v3, they were best price easy to fit and fully adjustable, I had bisteins HD before which were great but could not go as low or adjust hardness etc...I like low 964s and have gone as low as reasonably possible, there appear to be no problems, drop links are standard but fairly new fitted, there is still 40mm of thread so you could go lower but will have wheel rub, I have blasted down country lanes with no problem, ok you do need to watch for potholes etc, and mine is set hard but thats the way I ,I dont see the point in doing up a 964 as a racer, then setting it up for a family day out, on the track I imagine it will be great. So no bump steer.
There is always a lot of "no you cant do that" on forums, usually by people who do up cars from their desk seat and will never even get their hands oily
Old 04-01-2009, 10:57 AM
bfrank1972
AutoX

There is always a lot of "no you cant do that" on forums, usually by people who do up cars from their desk seat and will never even get their hands oily
Hope you weren't referring to me - just curious about bump steer as I know it can be a problem with drastically lowered 911's, looks to me everyone in this thread loves what you've done
Old 04-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Low 964
Pro

Very sorry....not you..and not all forums, just you do get some doom lords out there who have read to much and come to the wrong conclusions...then assume they are correct and go on to inform every one else.

It is difficult cos even the pros in the business all differ in their opinions....some times you just have to try something and see what happens.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is there a table available that describes ride heights for different configurations?
Old 04-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Livefreeandrive
Is there a table available that describes ride heights for different configurations?
Factory Alignment specs

993 measuring points

964 measuring points
Old 04-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Low 964
I read loads of stuff from all sorts before I decided on v3, they were best price easy to fit and fully adjustable, I had bisteins HD before which were great but could not go as low or adjust hardness etc...I like low 964s and have gone as low as reasonably possible, there appear to be no problems, drop links are standard but fairly new fitted, there is still 40mm of thread so you could go lower but will have wheel rub, I have blasted down country lanes with no problem, ok you do need to watch for potholes etc, and mine is set hard but thats the way I ,I dont see the point in doing up a 964 as a racer, then setting it up for a family day out, on the track I imagine it will be great. So no bump steer.
I suppose the factory went to all the expense and trouble of developing the 993RS uprights on a whim??
Old 04-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Low 964
Pro

But who is to say progress is better, dont you track boys claim your 964/993 RS can match GT3s etc...............Or did Porsche hit a high point in the early 90s

I dont disagree Bill but....as I said there is a lot of incorrect advice on forums.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Low 964
But who is to say progress is better, dont you track boys claim your 964/993 RS can match GT3s etc...............Or did Porsche hit a high point in the early 90s

I dont disagree Bill but....as I said there is a lot of incorrect advice on forums.
Just my uninformed opinion, you just gave some.

feel it or not a car that low w/ 964 uprights will have bump steer, the pros will use 993RS uprights and a tie rod extender to get rid of as much as can be gotten rid of.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Low 964
Pro

Im not a pro, Just trying to make the most of the car on a budget, done GT3s, and to be honest the 964 is more fun on the road as it is, than my GT3 was or my 964 turbo.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:15 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

I will say that my car is not that low but handles amazingly well both street and track with minimal bump steer.

In this case you might find there are as many cons as pros by going so low. I think you will need to get it out on the track to feel it at 9-10/10ths to see what impact it might have. I have a feeling you will experience some of the rebound that is reminiscent of torsion bar cars.

I agree my 964 can keep up with GT3's in the turns but it is not quite the same. As they glide through the turns with ease with far wider rubber, I am drifting and working to maintain my speed and once a long straight comes it is hard to keep up with all the extra HP and tq. Although at a track like WGI The most a 400 hp GT3 will gain on me is 5 car lengths from turn 1 to just before hitting the bus stop which is considerable after 30 min of driving.

Although if my car and I were to go on a diet and I went with stiffer springs and the different uprights lowered the car more I am sure it would be a different story.
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Besides bump steer and scraping off the bottom of the front splitters there is another issue w/ really low cars.

Geoffrey Ring got me thinking about this a while ago, as the car is lowered the center of mass and roll roll center both go down, but the roll center goes down faster than the c/m thus lengthening the lever arm on the force that causes body roll. As a result lowering too far with no other changes can actually result in more body roll.

Where is too low I dunno, I don't have the deep pockets to actually map out the actual geometry of these cars(though I would love to do so) so need to rely on the factory and other knowledgeable folks that have done the mapping or at least experimented enough to find what quantitatively works best.

Here is a diagram illustrating what happens

and a couple more showing what happens in a turn, w/ 4* of body roll, ~1.79" off wheel travel(compression on one side extension on the other) the roll center has moved down and to the right(as viewed in the pic, to the left as viewed from the drivers seat.

Just something to think about
Old 04-02-2009, 10:59 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I will say that my car is not that low but handles amazingly well both street and track with minimal bump steer.

In this case you might find there are as many cons as pros by going so low. I think you will need to get it out on the track to feel it at 9-10/10ths to see what impact it might have. I have a feeling you will experience some of the rebound that is reminiscent of torsion bar cars.

I agree my 964 can keep up with GT3's in the turns but it is not quite the same. As they glide through the turns with ease with far wider rubber, I am drifting and working to maintain my speed and once a long straight comes it is hard to keep up with all the extra HP and tq. Although at a track like WGI The most a 400 hp GT3 will gain on me is 5 car lengths from turn 1 to just before hitting the bus stop which is considerable after 30 min of driving.

Although if my car and I were to go on a diet and I went with stiffer springs and the different uprights lowered the car more I am sure it would be a different story.
Anthony, your C2 looks great! Love the black accents and the H4's

Quick Reply: Low...is Low!!!........at last