Sponsored by:

993-C4S-sewer pipe-964-windhshield rust

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 04:09 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,896 Likes on 2,892 Posts
Default 993-C4S-sewer pipe-964-windhshield rust

what the hell kind of title to a post is that!

well let me explain...
1. sold my 993 last week
2. the C4S i was planning to purchase(silver/black 46K miles)is no longer for sale so the search continues
3. found out 2 days ago that the sewer pipe needing replacement on our 108 year old victorian home only needs replacing up to the sidewalk which saves me $15K
4. $15K should be just enough money to fly down to calif. and buy a 964 driver while i search for the C4S.

which brings me to the main question: who here has dealt with the windshield rust issue??...my 993 had this issue and was taken care of by the PO so i never had the fun to pay for the fix.

are there varying degrees of rust??...many of the 964's i have looked at have this issue and it has not been addressed....what costs are involved if rust isn't very severe??

thx all

william, seattle
Old 03-23-2009, 04:14 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a spot removed from the lhs lower corner of the windshield. It had just started to bubble up and I was in need of a new windshield (thanks to a snow plow on an overpass) so I had the work done. They painted the windshield wiper section, up the A pillars and blended into the roof. Looks good, but with Polar Silver you can never match the clear coat and it shows if you look closely. It still drivers great, though! :-)
Old 07-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had some bubbling develop next to the seal on my rear windshield. My car has only 37K miles on it, but I guess it's the result of washing and not evacuating the water under the seal; in general, the design.

It sounds like repainting the panel is the only decent solution. Has anyone successfully attempted a different repair on a silver car? The spot on mine is less than an inch wide, so I hate to pay $1K+ to repair it.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My car had a small rust bubble lower passenger side, about 3/16" around, it is covered by the rubber seal, so I tried a product called RUST BULLET (no affiliation) just happens to be the same color as my car, or close enough. It is supposed to stop the rust from spreading, so far so good.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:15 PM
jneteler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one recently under the rubber on the rear window. From the outside it looked like surface rust. After the window was removed it turned out to be a small hole. Labor is relatively cheap here so the decision was easy.

Regards,

JNeteler
Old 07-09-2009, 04:00 PM
SDemas
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rust Repair

Rust bubble. Pulled seal and it was a hole. Saved some money by pulling all the parts and windshield.

Stan
Attached Images   
Old 07-10-2009, 08:47 AM
JDD
Instructor

I have the same issue with my '91. The estimate that I got was $1500 to pull the windshield "sand down rust to clean metal" and respray. I was always under the impression that rust had to be cut out or it would reappear in time. I don't love the idea of filler. Has anyone had long term success with this kind of repair?
Old 07-10-2009, 09:31 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow- I never knew this was an issue on the 964/993. The only car I had w/rust by the windshield rim was my '78 911SC, which was a Euro. Then again, the 87 and my 93 were both low-mileage garaged good weather weekend cars... I would think fewer cars have this issue than don't, and wouldn't assume a 964 would have it, but then again maybe in the $15K price range you're looking at higher mileage cars and/or minor-mid level issue cars...

By the way I like your logic-typical car nut like the rest of us. "I have an extra $15K I didn't budget for, so now I can spend it on a 964 while waiting to find another porsche" My guess is your going to find a C4S and wind up keeping the 964 as well
Old 07-10-2009, 05:05 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

It has been said that the issue is from poor screen replacement but, in my opinion and I think others it is just a poor design. Next time you wash your car, lift up the lower corners of the screen seal with a match stick and see how much water runs out. Sitting water = rust, paint and galvanising or no. I would say more do have the issue than don't and many cars probably don't show any evidence until the screen needs to come out. I also believe it is a common issue with the 3.2s; certainly in the UK. As the 993 get older, you will probably see it crop up more often. The basic 911 body construction didn't change that much up 'til the 964 and there are plenty of common rust areas on the earlier galvanised cars; our cars are probably only just starting to show the same weak spots. Be vigilent!
Old 07-10-2009, 06:19 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Seems that you'll have a higher liklihood of rust if a replacement windshield has been installed, and/or the car is driven in regions where salt is used on the roads in winter.
Cleaning (scraping) the old sealant from the window channel typically breaks the paint, exposing bare metal to the elements. I recently replaced my windshield (original), and there was no evidence of broken paint or rust. In the Porsche WS manual, a primer paint is recommended.
Rust never sleeps. What you see is likely only the tip of an iceberg. Get it fixed sooner than later. Do it right.
My $0.02
Old 07-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Stewart H
Advanced

I had mine done (in the UK) back in March. Small amount on the surface but more underneath - nowhere near as bad as the picture above though. Whilst I was at it, I had the windscreen replaced on insurance as it had 17 years worth of small stone chips. Cost was £1,074 plus which includes a new windscreen seal @ £89 But excludes the windscreen @ £567 and labour for removing & refitting the windscreen @ £151 (2.6 hours)
Old 07-15-2009, 07:07 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,896 Likes on 2,892 Posts

my 993 had the rust repair performed by the prvious owner so yes they are also very prone to the rust problem...xeveral 993's i looked at have had the rust problem.

my 964 has 2 small bubbles and has been this way for 10 years...i lifted the seal and inspected the area and there are no holes.

the repair could almost be done with a small touch up paint application but i will pull the windshield and do a thorough job

Quick Reply: 993-C4S-sewer pipe-964-windhshield rust