Front hood - alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:38 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Question Front hood - alarm?

Hi,

I've just finished the installation of my carbon fiber front hood and decided to go for hood pins instead of the stock latch/lock.

But now it struck me, what about the theft alarm?!

I guess the alarm would go of now if I activate it since the alarm system should think that the hood isn't locked. Is this correct? There's a cable and a connector just under the lock. I guess this is for the alarm and the light in front compartment.

1 If I disconnect this, will the rest of the alarm still work?

2 Is there an easy way to trick the sensor in the lock so I can have the alarm for the front hood activated as usual? It would be nice to have som kind of protection, even if I don't leave the car outside that often.

Thanks,

Thomas
Old 03-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
Hi,

I've just finished the installation of my carbon fiber front hood and decided to go for hood pins instead of the stock latch/lock.

But now it struck me, what about the theft alarm?!

I guess the alarm would go of now if I activate it since the alarm system should think that the hood isn't locked. Is this correct? There's a cable and a connector just under the lock. I guess this is for the alarm and the light in front compartment.

1 If I disconnect this, will the rest of the alarm still work?

2 Is there an easy way to trick the sensor in the lock so I can have the alarm for the front hood activated as usual? It would be nice to have som kind of protection, even if I don't leave the car outside that often.

Thanks,

Thomas

errr... install this??? Heavy-duty pin alarm pin switch...

Old 03-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I removed the switch and light altogether and left the wires hanging with heat-shrink over them so as to not short on various components - my alarm still triggers if you open the doors without a key.

I can verify this...but so can you Thomas.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:27 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Hi guys,

1 Wachuko - a switch is of course a way to go, but my question was more like "can you do something smart with the lock itself". I'm not very fond of drilling holes, new cables etc (if it's not a Cup-part of course!)

2 Jeff - That's true, but I can't turn on the power in my car until tomorrow so I asked in advance :-)

But disconnect is step one then. Then we'll see if we mount a switch or not to get the hood into the alarm-loop.

Thanks,

Thomas
Old 03-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Question

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
Hi guys,

1 Wachuko - a switch is of course a way to go, but my question was more like "can you do something smart with the lock itself". I'm not very fond of drilling holes, new cables etc (if it's not a Cup-part of course!)

2 Jeff - That's true, but I can't turn on the power in my car until tomorrow so I asked in advance :-)

But disconnect is step one then. Then we'll see if we mount a switch or not to get the hood into the alarm-loop.

Thanks,

Thomas
What about using the switch already in place for the trunk light. Just route the alarm wire to that switch. No additional holes to drill, switch should be already there...
Old 03-11-2009, 11:25 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

I don't know if it depends on model year, and mine is a -92. But my alarm and light is in the same switch and it's mounted at the bottom of the lock. The switch itself is a blade that is pressed down by the top of the latch when it is pressed down in the lock. So if I would use this switch I have do design something that is mounted on the hood and goes down through the lock when I shut it.

But today I bought a standard switch like in your picture. I think that will be the easiest soloution.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Goes without saying that we want to see recent photos of your car

Quick Reply: Front hood - alarm?