Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody with an Autopower Roll Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 02:07 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Anybody with an Autopower Roll Bar?

Just got mine via the shipper today, and it's not entirely clear exactly where it bolts in. Does anybody on the board have one installed, and maybe pictures of the pickup points on the floor, and the wheel well.

Going to try and get it powder coated white as well.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Been a long, long time since I've put one in, but it should bolt into the (weak) rear floorboard area like all the others they make.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:17 PM
sundog
Race Director

It looks like it bolts into the floor pan next to the sills and behind the seats. The rear attach points look to bolt into the wheel well at some point. Just looking for pictures.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:40 AM
amr89c4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, breathig a little life back ino this thread. I'm looking at a used Auto Power roll bar for my 964 C4 and was curious about where the 'feet' mount. I was hoping they were bolted through a boxed area, but I keep hearing its bolted thru one layer of thin steel in the front on the floor, and a single piece of rear fender well material at the rear.

Where did you wind up mounting the feet? Single layer of thin steel or in boxed sections???

Thanks,
Lynn
Old 09-27-2009, 10:01 PM
sundog
Race Director

Originally Posted by amr89c4
Hello, breathig a little life back ino this thread. I'm looking at a used Auto Power roll bar for my 964 C4 and was curious about where the 'feet' mount. I was hoping they were bolted through a boxed area, but I keep hearing its bolted thru one layer of thin steel in the front on the floor, and a single piece of rear fender well material at the rear.

Where did you wind up mounting the feet? Single layer of thin steel or in boxed sections???

Thanks,
Lynn
Yes, they are mounted in the thin sections of the floor, and the wheel well. There is a 3 inch square plate on both sides so there is a large area that would have to shear out to completely detach, but they are certainly in areas that would deform significantly under load.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:05 PM
sundog
Race Director

Here's a picture with the lower mounting foot.
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2009, 10:15 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

I have a used Safety Devices cage for sale - theoretically a much better product than the autopower as it mounts to the boxed regions of the chassis versus the floor sheet metal. $1080 shipped for the entire cage, includes seat back brace and window mounts.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:21 PM
BobH20man
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lynn, I have an AutoPower sport rollbar in my 1991 964 NB cab and had a local weld shop weld larger plates (about 8" x 10") to the existing feet with matching plates on the under side through which I bolted the original bolts and additional bolts around. Very solid now. I also had them add cross support bars from each top corner of the roll bar down to the opposite seat belt post where it is bolted. It seemed to reduce most of the body flex and really improved my cornering at the track. Let me know if you want pics. Bob
Old 10-02-2009, 08:16 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobH20man
Lynn, I have an AutoPower sport rollbar in my 1991 964 NB cab and had a local weld shop weld larger plates (about 8" x 10") to the existing feet with matching plates on the under side through which I bolted the original bolts and additional bolts around. Very solid now. I also had them add cross support bars from each top corner of the roll bar down to the opposite seat belt post where it is bolted. It seemed to reduce most of the body flex and really improved my cornering at the track. Let me know if you want pics. Bob
Bob: I have purchased the roll bar and had given thought to increasing the size of the footprint such as you did. Sounds like it stiffened things up nicely and the load will be more broadly distributed. I had not considered extra cross supports. If you don't mind, I would like to see your pictures. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:02 PM
BobH20man
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lynn, here is a pic of my modified AutoPower roll bar. After taking the pic today I remebered that I also had the weld shop add a piece on each side where I bolted the roll bar to each B-pillar post. (Recall that I have a cab.) Let me know if you want a pic of that. Bob
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Anybody with an Autopower Roll Bar?