Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breather Venting, weight reduction and other ramblings.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:55 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 459 Posts

Very interesting Geoffrey, thanks for sharing!!

And Chris, I am sure it wasn't installed backwards! I guess it was more appropriate to say the end result was backwards!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveConn
Demon,

Since buying my car, it's been my (admittedly random) mission to see how much weight I could get out of my car, without going completely stripped and/or "full race". My car is probably used 50% of the time on the street, and I drive it to and from track events, so I still desire SOME accommodations (albeit minimal).

My best advice is don't overlook the "little" things. If you really want to save weight, literally remove EVERYTHING you can do without. The little stuff will add up, and combined with the bigger hits (e.g., remove sunroof, swap seats, etc.), you may be surprised where you can end up. I think I've pretty much reached the end, for my tastes: 2,650lbs (all fluids, 1/2 tank, no driver).

I certainly can't say, in the end, it's been inexpensive getting here, but it's been a lot of fun, and great experience (if only for the exercise of taking things apart).

Good luck!

Dave
Any chance that you can briefly list what sort of things you have done to save weight.

Cheers.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:19 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you weren't asking me, but for reference:

Air con pump removal, rear line removal (front rad/fan/lines remain for now)
Carpets and underlay removed, replaced with lightweight RS set
Seats replaced with Recaro Profi SPG XL with Alloy Mounts
RS Style Door Cards
Headlining removed, pad removed then new headlining.
Wevo Engine mounts save quite a bit.
Cat's gone
No radio \ speakers

I've added a Big Red Kit, and 30kg of cage... weight currently 1295kg 3/4 fuel no driver.

Sunroof will come out, front end aircon stuff, perspex rear windows, carbon roof, carbon bonnet, i'm sure there is other stuff too...
Old 03-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for that. Barring replacing the seats what else would you say are 'easy wins' ? I imagine removing carpets and sound deadening would require a fair amount of effort - does the weight of the carpet/sound deadening justify the effort ?

Cheers.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:53 AM
DaveConn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talat & demon,

Sorry it took me so long to respond. As a form of response, I'll try to pick up on demon's last post, as most of what he details I have done as well. Hopefully it will be clear as mud...

- I've removed ALL of the A/C equipment, etc. (except the unit under the dash, as it is apparently a real PITA to get out);
- removed windshield washer tank and lines in left front fender;
- demon, did you remove rear seats, hardware, etc.? rear shelf and speakers?
- you can save a fair amount of weight at the rear (where it's important!) by changing the exhaust setup. In my case I took a 'mild' route, with secondary and cat. bypasses, but you can save more weight with some of the aftermarket setups that use headers, etc. I would suggest that having the secondary muffler removed actually makes the car sound RIGHT - not too loud, but some authority;
- pulled the air bags and equip.; this was a personal choice, and I know it has been debated here many times, but for me, the thought of having a twenty-year old, first generation, explosive device in front of my face (or a passenger's) made me very uncomfortable;
- replaced the lower dash with the pre-'90 knee pads;
- demon, did you pull out ALL of the radio equip., including amplifier, etc.? You can still get the OE radio block off plate for the dash, if it fits your taste. Part # 911-552-463-02-70B;
- removed front and rear bumper beams and supports; also removed all heat shielding, brackets, etc. that did not seem absolutely necessary; keep in mind I don't drive in traffic, so I'm not as concerned about heat build up;
- gutted front trunk as much as feasible (no carpet, tools, jack, etc.); I've been running with the spare on the street, just as added protection, but it IS heavy, and it certainly won't do any good with big brakes... ;
- I'm running Fikse 17" wheels, and as much as I feel the Cup I wheel is THE wheel for 964s, I also REALLY wanted to reduce unsprung weight as much as possible. I have a set of barely used magnesium Cups, but they're too damn valuable anymore to use blasting through the countryside, or on a track somewhere (they look GOOD though! );
- chopped the top (mine was a sunroof car as well); we used an OE steel roof skin, as this is a fairly important structural piece of the car;
- I'm running with carbon fiber trunk and engine lids;

If I missed something, it's probably one of those 'little' things. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about any of the above. Obviously, YMMV, but for me, my car is perfect!

Best regards,

Dave
Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

- I've removed ALL of the A/C equipment, etc. (except the unit under the dash, as it is apparently a real PITA to get out);

I still have some to remove...

- removed windshield washer tank and lines in left front fender;

I need those for MOT

- demon, did you remove rear seats, hardware, etc.? rear shelf and speakers?

Yes all interior was removed, replaced with RS carpet set, ie nothin'!

- you can save a fair amount of weight at the rear (where it's important!) by changing the exhaust setup. In my case I took a 'mild' route, with secondary and cat. bypasses, but you can save more weight with some of the aftermarket setups that use headers, etc. I would suggest that having the secondary muffler removed actually makes the car sound RIGHT - not too loud, but some authority;

I Run a decat for trackdays, when not on track G pipe, primary is still original - 98db limits on most tracks over here.

- pulled the air bags and equip.; this was a personal choice, and I know it has been debated here many times, but for me, the thought of having a twenty-year old, first generation, explosive device in front of my face (or a passenger's) made me very uncomfortable;

Drivers airbag gone, still got passenger one to remove.

- replaced the lower dash with the pre-'90 knee pads;

Not sure yet...

- demon, did you pull out ALL of the radio equip., including amplifier, etc.? You can still get the OE radio block off plate for the dash, if it fits your taste. Part # 911-552-463-02-70B;

Yes its all gone - track camera equip incl screen is going there instead.

- removed front and rear bumper beams and supports; also removed all heat shielding, brackets, etc. that did not seem absolutely necessary; keep in mind I don't drive in traffic, so I'm not as concerned about heat build up;

Heat shields gone, bumper bracket - again not so sure at the moment.

- gutted front trunk as much as feasible (no carpet, tools, jack, etc.); I've been running with the spare on the street, just as added protection, but it IS heavy, and it certainly won't do any good with big brakes... ;

normal setup here, carpet keeps my stuff clean and isnt too heavy.

- I'm running Fikse 17" wheels, and as much as I feel the Cup I wheel is THE wheel for 964s, I also REALLY wanted to reduce unsprung weight as much as possible. I have a set of barely used magnesium Cups, but they're too damn valuable anymore to use blasting through the countryside, or on a track somewhere (they look GOOD though! );

too expensive for me at the moment, but planned

- chopped the top (mine was a sunroof car as well); we used an OE steel roof skin, as this is a fairly important structural piece of the car;

sunroof will go, but carbon skin panel over top once sheet metal is mostly removed.

- I'm running with carbon fiber trunk and engine lids;

trunk - planned - engine lid - from where? pictures?
Old 03-10-2009, 06:49 PM
tony.t
Intermediate

There's 2 washer bottles. Just use the little one

1170kg
Old 03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What are you guys using in place of your bumper brackets??

I've been considering chopping the ends off my bumper supports and drilling some large holes...but eliminating the rear one makes me nervous - I race and one good "pop" to the rear could really jeopardize engine, etc.

Definitely get all the airbag off the passenger side and the lower dash pad, saves a good 18lbs maybe? I listed it in a different post as I JUST removed that stuff about a month ago and weighed it all.

HOW do I get the bright orange airbag unit out from under the dashboard?? I've glanced at it a few times and see there are some odd fasteners holding it up in there??
Old 03-10-2009, 07:28 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tony.t

1170kg
which one was yours at the RS day - i was there.

if i would have read your posts a little closer i'd have come and said hi
Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by demonfish

I saw Tony's car in one of the garages but he wasn't around at the time. That day went so fast it was impossible to see everyone. Managed to catch up with John Boggiano and Sten though.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:04 PM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

Do all 964s have two bottles?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:31 PM
tony.t
Intermediate

Originally Posted by demonfish

lots of pics at the trackphoto site now up

http://213.165.80.147/files/March_20...t/SDI_2531.jpg
Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 PM
tony.t
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ValveFloat
Do all 964s have two bottles?
The euro RSs and cup cars only have one. IIRC allthe others have 2. Ones the main washer bottle filled next to the petrol the others for a concentrated washer fluid operated by a switch somewhere on the dash.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:46 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

yeah headlamp washers i think. i just leave it empty, there is a drain under the wheel arch... its not to heavy then.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:52 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

lots of pics at the trackphoto site now up

http://213.165.80.147/files/March_20...t/SDI_2531.jpg
i know the one, i remember the wheels...

and then i thought, i like that spoiler. looks light

Quick Reply: Breather Venting, weight reduction and other ramblings.