Sponsored by:

Looking for a G50 5spd. Transmission/Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:51 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Looking for a G50 5spd. Transmission/Parts

OK, as some of you may recall, about 2 years ago a 3rd/4th gear shiftrod snapped and sent a piece into the carrier section of my transmission. The approximate 1" piece pretty much got shot out of the bellhousing, towards the clutch area...making a BIG mess and ending my track weekend at Road Atlanta.

I disassembled the transmission and took the bellhousing section over to a friend's shop for a "look oh-WOW" session...instead of saying "WOW, you really hosed that one up" my friend was intrigued and offered to tig weld it for me. We wound up with what I would call a pure piece of art.

I reassembled the transmission after getting a few parts together, about 2mos. later and installed it in the car. I raced the car for almost 2 years with the transmission like that and recently it developed a leak along the crack where it was fixed - it's getting bad, so bad the clutch started slipping like crazy during my last race two weekends ago and the transmission was dripping fluid when I came in. BOO-HISS!!

Anyway, here's my plea...if any of you have a "busted" or otherwise defective gearbox with issues that is still in one piece and has a useable bellhousing section - I would like to buy it! If you have one disassembled, complete, a working spare, just pieces/parts...a friend with pieces parts, a local shop with a spare getting dusty, sitting in the corner...I'd like to entertain the idea of buying it...IF it has a useable bellhousing section.

In other words, I'd like to buy one for parts...if it's a working unit, so be it, I'm not interested in a LSD, gearing, etc. just a box for parts. It has to be a 1990 and newer G50 5spd. If you need case#s, let me know.

I have another spare gearbox but I can't see the sense in cannibalizing it for parts as it is a perfect RSA unit, I used it while I was waiting for parts to come in for this gearbox 2 years ago...for about 3 race weekends...I would like to leave it a 'virgin'.

I would consider trading this unit for a "regular" C2 gearbox and some $$$$$$$ if anyone needs a good working RSA G50 002 gearbox with factory LSD unit.

If you have any good leads, please direct them to me and email jefcATmindspringDOTcom - removing the "AT" and "DOT", replacing with the appropriate characters...or you can send a PM - I prefer emails though.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer by word of mouth or just plain keeping your eyes open. I'd like to return my current gearbox to 100% working order and have some spare parts to boot.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The RSA gearbox is a G50/05 not 002. Good luck, the bell housings are tough to come by because theya are the transmission part that is broken most often. You may try to call Joel Reiser who has gearbox parts.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:53 AM
kurquhart
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

email sent
Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Geoffrey, the bottom of the case I have says G50 5002...from memory, I did turn 40 last Summer so the onslaught of CRS may be more present than I think!

KURQUHART - Excellent!

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It should say G50 05 02 which says that the trans is a G50/05 with an LSD (02 designates LSD).
Old 03-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some gears from my 968 trans, if they fit...and if you're interested.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Yeah, that's what I meant Geoffrey.

Jason, thanks, but I'm only in need of a bellhousing section, think I may have found one...
Old 03-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you didn't need more!

Quick Reply: Looking for a G50 5spd. Transmission/Parts