Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Auto loans???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 03:25 AM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here we say get an loan for the house, but for a car, just buy one when you have saved the money never take a loan for a car. Most of the times the car is gone but the loan is still there.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:32 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not that you're asking, but my advice is if you can't pay cash don't buy it.

However, if you must finance use www.firstagain.com, these are the folks that started People First before acquired by Cap One.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:37 AM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jerry,
Why not pop for a CPO car from Porsche at 3.9? That is unless you can do the credit card shuffle mentioned earlier. I would think the warranty would be worth going with a dealer.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:13 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Warpig
I talked to my bank on saturday about a loan for a 964 and the banker and I sat down and laid it all out. It turns out his suggestion of my best option right now was to purchase the car on my Platinum card at 5.5% or use a credit card check for that account (because I have enough open on the account to cover the car) and then roll the balance to another card I have with enough open to cover the car that has 0% interest on transfers for 36 months. For my situation he said it was even better than a home equity loan or a personal loan and I could pay off the loan in 36 months and pay no interest. I told him five years ago if someone would have told me to buy a car on a credit card I would have told them they were nuts... He said yeah I know but it's not 5 years ago anymore & the loan market is screwy right now, this is actually a better option.

Nick
I did this a few years back with some pricey camera gear, it was better than going for a Bank loan until I forgot to make the payment one month! I had the money just plain forgot to send it in, Good bye 0%. I no longer do business with Discover card.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:58 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

"My situation was different because I knew my tax return would pay off the loan amount within a few weeks."

Why not just wait a few weeks?

"I told him five years ago if someone would have told me to buy a car on a credit card I would have told them they were nuts..."

Your banker is nuts and should be fired!

This is all just crazy talk!!! What do you guys think has created the current issues that exist in the financial world, folks buying crap on credit they can't afford...

If you don't have the cash don't buy it, just my $.02 worth
Old 03-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Yea i know, i know, we are debt free except for the house and i dont like having a stupid loan either(Dave Ramsey would kick our Butts); However, we have saved up about 2/3rds of what a nice 05/06 Cayenne would cost. But i dont want to wait another year and a half to get it so i have to finance the last 1/3. If things keep going as they have for us then that will be paid off in a year or two. This would be my wifes first nice car so i want to do it right and i want something safe AND I WANT ANOTHER PORSCHE!!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sire
Here we say get an loan for the house, but for a car, just buy one when you have saved the money never take a loan for a car. Most of the times the car is gone but the loan is still there.
Something about sweating to save all that money and then forking it over for a hunk of metal doesn't appeal to me. I'm an instant gratification guy and I love loans. But then, I'm probably part of the reason this economy is in the shape it's in.

I plan to die broke, but I feel pretty good so I'm thinking the money's gonna run out first.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Something about sweating to save all that money and then forking it over for a hunk of metal doesn't appeal to me. I'm an instant gratification guy and I love loans. But then, I'm probably part of the reason this economy is in the shape it's in.

I plan to die broke, but I feel pretty good so I'm thinking the money's gonna run out first.
HEH...that cracks me up man....but your right it is hard to part with it when you actually have some, it makes you wonder??? "do i really NEED to buy this??"
Old 03-03-2009, 09:36 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

I know you guys are just toying with my emotions now

As I said before, if you can't pay cash don't buy it. Don't matter how much you want it or think you need it
Old 03-04-2009, 03:22 AM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Boeing just hold on, you get other changes to buy an nice car for youre girlfriend. I think with economic crisis at the end of this is at his height you prob. can buy one much cheaper. Al the stocks must be sold once and quick as posible. And maybe someone who needs the cash sells his car.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Cayenne ?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Boeing 717

Yea a Cayenne.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:48 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Yea a Cayenne.
Look at the other options for an SUV. The Cayenne is by far the best. I own an ML 320 to tow the boat, and it is junk by comparison.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 205 Posts

"My situation was different because I knew my tax return would pay off the loan amount within a few weeks."
Why not just wait a few weeks?
Scott, I would think that someone who has paid cash for a 993 would understand that sometime opportunitys pop up, and you don't have time to wait around for a tax return, or other funds etc etc. I will admit that when talking about automobiles usually the sense of urgency is false, but it can still be valid. Don't get me wrong, I believe in having as few loans as possible, if any. However, if I was looking at a porsche that I though I could buy for X$ less than market value, I would probably burrow to make sure I locked it up especially if I had a sure thing coming in the short term...ie, money from uncle sam. I did this myself a few months back to buy RSR 3.6 engine for my 911. It was a small gamble that paid off. I am back to only having student loan debt. Life's a gamble, sometimes you might have to take a risk to have some fun before we get too old or boring to do so.

Back to the OP, I second checking into a credit union. I use one for all my finances, and they seem to have some great lending deals available. What trim level are you looking for in the cayenne? I never really liked any of them until I saw a GTS model a couple weeks back. It sounded AMAZING
Old 03-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Boeing 717

Well were looking primarily at S models and my wife wants black or tan interior with wood trim and wood steering wheel plus navigation is a must, has to have less than about 35000 miles. There are a few in california for great prices and low miles but im gonna have to fly out there and look at them first.

Last edited by Boeing 717; 03-04-2009 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Auto loans???