Sponsored by:

Bittersweet 964 Auto Theft Recovery - Opportunity

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:06 PM
lmazzoli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bittersweet 964 Auto Theft Recovery - Opportunity

Some of you may have seen my post in the General Discussions forum, but my 1993 911 that was stolen back on 1/2/2008 was recovered a few weeks back.

I do a lot of reading on Rennlist, but not much posting, so if anyone could add a hot link to the other posting, that would be great. There are a lot of details of the car on that post.

I will keep this short. I received a call from my insurance company back on February 12th, informing me that my car had been recovered. However, I did settle about 11 months ago and already purchased a replacement.

The good - The theft was essentailly a joy ride to a spot 4 miles from my house. Car was found with no damage, and even had my driving shoes, mag-lite flashlight, and other insignificant items left in the car.

The bad - Car sat in an apartment complex unlocked in the hot Georgia elements for 1 year gathering dirt and grime. The police gave up on the case about 3 weeks after theft. Apartment complex said they didn't call the police because the car was so nice and didn't think there was a problem! What kind of comment was that! Apartment complex only called to have it towed because the tags had expired and the apartment owners made a visit and told the manager to have it towed. What in the world is going on here - can you sense and frustration?

OPPORTUNITY - Car will be sold at auction just outside of Atlanta - Car can be seen at www.iaai.com. Search for 1993 Porsche 911. The auction house is still working on paperwork, and the car is not up for auction yet (3/1/09), but should go up soon. However, it is available to see on-line on the IAAI website. If anyone happens to purchase the car, I have incredibly detailed records going back about 9 years. Best to luck and someone please buy this car and take care of it.

Thanks - LJM
Old 03-01-2009, 11:57 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My TT was stolen from my garage by the idiots that broke in my house in September. They drove 1 mile and parked it in their Apartment complex. Turns out I had lojack in the car and they found it 30 minutes after I reported it. With the dropping value of the cars these days I Kind of wish I got the insurance money for it value then
Old 03-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LJM, have you seen the car since they recovered it?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:57 AM
lmazzoli
Instructor

Kahdmus - I have seen the car. I actually went to get my personal things out of the car (shoes, garage door opener, mag-lite, etc.) even last gas receipts were left in the car. Overall, the car looks very good. It just looks like it has been left outside for the last year. It had a small scuff on the door and rear deck lid, but both could be buffed out. Then again, the entire car needs to be cleaned and buffed out from the elments. That is why I posted this, hopefully someone who will take care of it will get it. The recent photo is on the www.IAAI.com website if you search Porsche 1993.

I was bummed that I could not even get my wheels or Cobra racings seats that I had installed a month before it was stolen. Sat in them for one DE and then it was gone.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:01 AM
jsrieck
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the auction site and they only have one fuzzy picture. Do you have some more pictures of the car you could post? I know it has been a year, but I would be able to get a rough idea of the mods you have made and the basic look of the car.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lmazzoli
Kahdmus - I have seen the car. I actually went to get my personal things out of the car (shoes, garage door opener, mag-lite, etc.) even last gas receipts were left in the car. Overall, the car looks very good. It just looks like it has been left outside for the last year. It had a small scuff on the door and rear deck lid, but both could be buffed out. Then again, the entire car needs to be cleaned and buffed out from the elments. That is why I posted this, hopefully someone who will take care of it will get it. The recent photo is on the www.IAAI.com website if you search Porsche 1993.

I was bummed that I could not even get my wheels or Cobra racings seats that I had installed a month before it was stolen. Sat in them for one DE and then it was gone.
I found it on the site yesterday but its a very small thumbnail. To access additional data requires membership.

It must have been a really sad moment when you went and saw it for the last time.

Last edited by Kahdmus; 03-02-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:29 AM
TR6
Drifting

Is it a targa?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:35 PM
lmazzoli
Instructor

Yes, it is a Targa. A few upgrades - PSS9 Suspension, Cobra Imola S racing seats, harnesses. It does have 102k miles on it, but I will gladly send you the detailed service records I have if you pm. It was a well maintained car. There are recent shots of the car, that I took while collecting my personal things on the General Discussion Board. - LJM
Old 03-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lmazzoli
There are recent shots of the car, that I took while collecting my personal things on the General Discussion Board. - LJM
Here's the link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/general-...tlanta-ga.html
Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So the car was stolen, parked 4 miles from your house and sat there for a year? Great police work?
Old 03-02-2009, 03:34 PM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How frustrating! Don't any officers patrol that complex? The apartment owners should have brought it to the attention of the super alot sooner. With no owner in the complex they could have figured this out and got you your car back. Some people are oblivious.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

C2 or C4?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interesting.....
Old 03-03-2009, 01:13 PM