Sponsored by:

Warped dashboard question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warped dashboard question

Been a while since I have posted here....hope everyone is well.

My RHD 1990 964 has a slightly buckled / warped dash on the passenger side up near the winshield. I'll try to post some pics later of exactly what I am talking about.

I recently had the winshield replaced, and while the window was out, I looked at the warped area to see if perhaps a clip had broken (or something was missing) which would have caused the dash to begin buckling in that area. To my surprise, nothing was missing. I suppose a combination of time and temperature is what caused this to happen.

Well, this got me thinking about how to fix it. What if I used a heat gun to warm up the buckled area and then push it down and back into the proper position? Has anyone ever tried to do this? Do you think it would work?

Please let me know if you have ever tried this.

Thanks,
Old 02-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar thing in my LH drive C2......would love to know quick safe solution otherwise considering getting it reupholstered alla AP Design in nice alcantara !
Old 02-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm interested in the answer too.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Oracle
Pro

There was a thread about it not too long ago, I remember something about taking the vent off and there is a screw in there that you will undo then pull the dashboad outwards then re-tight the screw. Of course I'm not making any justice to a well described process.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:00 PM
suezen
Intermediate

Here is a TSB about this

/Anders
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Dashboard.pdf (44.2 KB, 222 views)
Old 02-20-2009, 01:26 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost every 964 I see has this problem, some worse than others. Mine's not too bad, yet....

Thanks for posting the TSB.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:54 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Good to see you posting again Jeremy
That new set of shocks and springs we put on still attached to your car
Old 02-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Default Hey Jim!!

The car is running strong....Had the interior redone a while ago. Odometer is sitting at almost 103,000 miles and she is still very happy.

Would like to get this dash issue fixed though as it I want the car to be as correct as possible......
Old 02-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately the TSB basically says that you replace the dash and then sounds like the defroster vent prevents future warping.. Any ideas on how to fix the warped dash would be awesome.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:59 AM
suezen
Intermediate

I have the same issue on my car and my thinking is that it should be possible to push the dashboard down by removing the vent, adjust the brackets and then re-assemble. Have not tried yet but will of course share the result with you when I have tried it.

As I interpret the TSB it is actually how it is meant to be corrected, i.e. without replacing the dasboard. But then in addition it describes how to prevent it from happen in case the dashboard is replaced for some reason.

How do you guys interpret the TSB?

/Anders
Old 02-21-2009, 10:36 AM
DaveConn
Instructor

Hi everyone,

This last Spring I tried to fix my "wave" while my car sat without a windshield, and I would offer that this is a job that will take TIME and PATIENCE!

My car has a slight bump in the center of the dash, along the interior side of the plastic vent cover (it's better than it was, but still there today). I figured that sitting in the sun was the cause, so I figured heat (as mentioned above) was the cure. I had access from both sides, because I was without a windshield for a week (after the installer broke the first one ), so I broke out the wife's hair dryer, and a 12lb. chunk of lead, and went to work. After several days of repeatedly warming the underside of the "wave", with the weight on it, and letting the weight sit the whole time the windsheild was out, I can safely say it made SOME difference, but I could not make it go away completely. In addition, there is NO WAY the little plastic vent strip is strong enough to pull the dash back down on its own.

The lesson I learned is that if I ever want it to be perfect, I'm going to have to replace the upper dash, and to be honest, that's a pretty low priority compared to other things I'd like to do on the car.

Just thought I'd pass along my experience. I would certainly be interested if anyone else has found a better way of addressing this!

Take care,

Dave

Quick Reply: Warped dashboard question