removing scratches in the windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:46 AM
ScottR
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default removing scratches in the windscreen

Hi

Has anyone tried to polish out scratches in their windscreen.

Mine's got lots of fine scratches and swirls in it over the ages, which makes for some tricky vision at night in the rain.

Was wondering if anyone had tried any products, such as this glass scratch repair with any success?

Cheers
Scott
Old 02-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its near impossible to remove any real scratch from glass .
The out side surface of a windshield is hard .
If you were to remove all the glass around a scratch so the glass was removed down to a level below the bottom of the scratch , you are talking a lot of glass being removed . To remove a lot of glass with out leaving marks is difficult .
Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance that a rock could accidentally make a hole in it and a replacement required...
Old 02-12-2009, 03:02 PM
ScottR
Racer

Yeah, figured it might not be too easy.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:04 PM
ScottR
Racer

Originally Posted by meek
Any chance that a rock could accidentally make a hole in it and a replacement required...
Hmmm - maybe

Need to check my insurance - I think my previous insurance explicitly mentioned that they would not get a official Porsche windscreen, i.e. it had to be a autoglass repro.

Have to check my current one.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

I have used a product called MAAS that takes scratches out of about anything, you just have to polish forever, but it really does work.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:21 PM
cbwayo
Instructor

Originally Posted by ScottR
Hmmm - maybe

Need to check my insurance - I think my previous insurance explicitly mentioned that they would not get a official Porsche windscreen, i.e. it had to be a autoglass repro.

I had my insurance company replace mine back in September and when I spoke to the glass people, they said they didn't think there was any knock-off, and had to order an official Porsche one. Maybe it was because I demanded that the green tint stripe be present in the replacement, like the original.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottR
Hmmm - maybe

Each replacement I've had for a C2 had to come from porsche, they couldn't find an aftermarket mfgr... cool if you have glass coverage, a real b1tch if you're out of pocket for it...like a racecar...
Old 02-13-2009, 10:35 AM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My windshield is just pitted, anybody ever had any luck getting rid of those. I don't think the insurance will pay to replace a pitted glass.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 AM
cbwayo
Instructor

Originally Posted by yellowducman
My windshield is just pitted, anybody ever had any luck getting rid of those. I don't think the insurance will pay to replace a pitted glass.
When mine was replaced by the insurance company, it was only pitted, no cracks. I went to my local body shop, asked them if they knew of any glass guys that could "help" me with getting it replaced. I kind of played dumb, asked them if they thought the insurance company would pay to have it replaced, because I've heard of some justifying that pitted glass is more in danger of shattering, and it can be hazardous if the sun is in your face while driving, etc, etc.

Anyway, they referred me to a company that intentionally didn't ask questions. I spoke to the owner on the phone, said that my windshield was pitted, he came out and fixed it. I'm not sure what he did on his end to get the claim accepted by the insurance company, but it was out of my hands.

A better solution than taking a hammer to the windshield, anyway.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:34 PM
dan79brooklyn
Advanced

My experience with State Farm:

A rock put a chip right in the passenger field of vision, spoke to the insurance company, (you could just TELL them that a rock hit it, they're not going to come and check). You can make an appointment with any glass place (I think I had a $100 deductible paid to the glass guys) They did a pretty good job, were only confused by the wiring for the in glass antenna, which ended up sticking out slightly, just make sure they can source the glass for the 964. It was AGLA glass, green tint on top and antenna in the glass, they showed me the receipt, the glass alone was over $700.

Does it work similarly in the UK?
Old 02-13-2009, 05:59 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to remove haze, I use Bon Ami cleanser. It is an excellent polish.

Quick Reply: removing scratches in the windscreen