Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Two words: crumple zone.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:08 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
Two words: crumple zone.
Ah ha....I feel so, well, enlightened now.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Driving impressions? NVH on a race car? Everything shakes on a car where every suspension, engine, transmisstion mount is solid. In neutra the transmission sounds like you are shaking a cofee can with lug nuts in it.

There is only a slight difference in feedback of the steering wheel where it feels sharper now than before, but it is very slight. I also never completed the trunk side of the project. the front side has a tube from the front suspension mounting to the middle. I just haven't finished it yet.

I think what Bruce is saying is that the factory street car has a frontal crumple zone that includes the front suspension to absorb a front end impact. This additoinal bracing would affect the aiblity of the front to crumple. Since this is a race car with additional roll cage extending into the front of the car, I'm not that concerned about a crumple zone.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:30 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, that's what I was saying. I didn't meant to be snarky about it, sorry.

I'm no expert. As I understand it, a lot of engineering goes into how a race car behaves in a crash. Your stiffening probably negates some of that. The roll cage protects you from intrusion, but what you've added will transfer the shock of a frontal impact to the rest of the car > to the roll cage > to you > to your brain and internal organs. That was my concern; I'm in no position to lecture, just pointing out something that came to mind.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:53 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Geoffrey,
what about removing as well the rubbers and have machined new brackets that would complitly clamp the steering rack on the body....!?
you may as well use the RS tie rods with the rubbers instead of the uniball ....?!

K
Old 01-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you need the rubber around the rack as I think the vibration would crack the rack over time.

My car has 993GT2 Evo inner tie rods and complete heim jointed outer with special drop spacers machined for the ride height of my car to minimize the bump steer.

If you want to see more about this car, do a seach here on Racecar Project.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:15 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

hi,
ok.. it may crack ....!? The bracket looks great !!
I have seen your tie rods with the rose joint ends and spacers to lower them down...!?
I what thinking the RS so it will get a bit softer as they have rubbers compare to the rose joints you have as the rack would get very stiff ....

Quick Reply: Racecar Project - Suspension Stiffening