Sponsored by:

Exhuast Smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 12:42 AM
Seaflat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhuast Smell

I have searched and looked for some good diagrams but I am not hitting on anything for the rear body seal layout. I have noticed some exhaust smell in the car mainly just when backing up, but it's got me wondering.

Are there seals that need to be replaced in the rear compartment? Is the foam at the top of the engine compartment just for noise or is it suppose to seal the compartment? I was thinking it was coming up through the back deck section.

I used to have 280Z and I remember if the rear seal wasn't perfect it would suck in exhaust while driving. Do our cars have this issue?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-31-2009, 09:31 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

By chance, when you were backing up, was the heat on? If yes, the car heat draws air from the engine compartment and its possible to draw in exhaust fumes. Depending on the wind and outside temp, this has happened to me a few times.

The foam at the top of the engine compartment is there just for noise abatement. It does not serve any sealing function.

Edit: I'm assuming you have already checked and confirmed that you don't have any exhaust leaks or damaged heat exchangers.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Seaflat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the heat was on. I wondered if it would pull in from the engine compartment. I have looked under the car but I don't see or hear any overt leaks. I am not sure how to check the heat exchangers. I don't really smell it when having the heat on normally but I do sometimes get a headache after driving it for a while. Is there a self test I could do on the heat exchangers or is this more of a pro job?

Quick Reply: Exhuast Smell