Sponsored by:

964 steering gator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:13 AM
kosh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 steering gator replacement

Hi just failed a MOT due to drivers steering gator being split. Have been told that it's going to cost me £50 to replace due to having to undo trackrods etc. Then an unknown amount to get the geomotry done.
Is there a gator available in the uk that is in two halfs to reduce the amount of work & geo test?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:36 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they measure before and after I see no need to get a geo done. I have also heard that, if careful you can pull the boot over the end of the track rod, so not disturbing anything.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:48 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

I just did this on my new steering rack. I replaced the tie rod ends, and the rack, so I need a new alignment. If you are re-using the tie-rod ends, you should be able to put it back to the exact number of turns. It is impossible to be even a small fraction of a turn off because the tapered pin that goes into the wheel carrier ensures you are spot-on whild the jamnut is tightened.

Regardless, I agree the new boot will fit around the tie rod end with only a little stretching which the new rubber does easily.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:53 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you get the trackrod end off without disturbing the shock? i dont think you can... or you cant with PSS10's...

if you are doing it, do both sides and for the money, may as well do both rod ends, but when the gaitors are off, check the arm bushes also.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:07 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by demonfish
can you get the trackrod end off without disturbing the shock? i dont think you can... or you cant with PSS10's....
I recall having to turn the steering wheel to get the right position, but the tie rods came off no problem. The shock remained unmolested on my stock suspension.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:43 PM
ggoodwin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been down this route recently myself.
MOT failure, gaitors shot. I have no idea how the same garage passed it for the last 2 years! (hard times obviously)

- No split gaitors appear to be available (It's not a VW)
- Ball joints wont come out without dropping the suspension arm (Bilstien) - agree stock may be ok
- You cannot get the gaitors over the ball joint end without risking splitting them

The best way is therefore to unwind the rods at the adjuster - assuming yours are not siezed like mine were. Without the car on ramps and standing underneath I couldn't get enough leverage to undo them.

Cost me a few quid for parts (genunine porsche)
Garage charged me a can of WD40, 1hr labour per side, and a basic re-alignment, which I thought was pretty reasonable in the end.

If I could have done it myself, I would have replaced the tie rod ends / ball joints etc and saved the labour charges.

GarryG

Quick Reply: 964 steering gator replacement