Sponsored by:

Who's got the lightest c4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
His car is 2wd, no? I assume this because it has a Tiptronic which was not made for use as a C4 tranny.
Garrett I know you've taken a lot of weight out of your current car but being a widebody probably doesn't make it the lightest. What about your previous black C4? You took at least 300 lbs. out of that one, no?

1100kg is pretty optimistic although it might be possible if the car were completely stripped with all insulation, interior, and undercoating removed, glass replaced with lexan, carbon fiber body panels, etc.

Tom W. has taken just about everything possible out of his car but it is a race car only. Is this what your friend is building?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Tuscany964
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Garrett I know you've taken a lot of weight out of your current car but being a widebody probably doesn't make it the lightest. What about your previous black C4? You took at least 300 lbs. out of that one, no?

1100kg is pretty optimistic although it might be possible if the car were completely stripped with all insulation, interior, and undercoating removed, glass replaced with lexan, carbon fiber body panels, etc.

Tom W. has taken just about everything possible out of his car but it is a race car only. Is this what your friend is building?
Exactly without the cf body panels (except the front hood probably). 1100 may be a bit optimistic but I would have thought you could lose quite a bit more than 300 lbs... A standard euro RS weighs 1220-30kg which I suppose would mean an equivalent c4 could weigh in around 1300kg. But you can still strip down an RS

Garrett what sort of weight have you reached?

Any pics or info on Tom W.'s car?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

He has several threads documenting the stages his car has been through but here's one on weight loss.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:53 PM
rob964.c4
Instructor

thanks finally found it

robert
Old 01-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob's brakes started out as Porsche Racing brakes from the Turbo LeMans cars (center locks, etc) they were pure racing parts. I am unclear if the GS was delivered this way or if it was a later modification however i believe it was delivered this way (this was NOT his first 20+ page of options special wishes car btw..)
it is currently fitted with Carbon Ceramic brakes which were specially made for the car (i.e. not GT-3 spec) with Aluminium-Lithium calipers (8 piston) as used in formula 1.
They are of course works of engineering art incoperating such light weight details as Ti fittings, hats, bolts, etc. where appropiate.

a bit OT but though you would like to know. (bob feel free to correct me here if i am misstating anything)
Old 01-22-2009, 05:40 AM
Tuscany964
Racer

Thanks for all the answers everyone!

I guess 1100Kg is completely out of the question without extensive bodywork mods then...

Great car Garrett! Just one thing do you remove the airbags when you race in POC R6 or is there some way of disabling them without removal?

Can't believe you do all that work when you race in the different classes
Old 01-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Low 964
Pro

Mines red but I saw a white one, deffo lighter than mine or a black one
Old 01-22-2009, 01:39 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Getting weight out of a street car is so hard and after a certain point extremely expensive. You are always 1 step away from a gutted car and then you wonder if its really worth it...Plus each piece you remove reduces the number of people who would be interested when you, if you, ever sell...not to mention what it does to the price of the car.

That said, its a fun exercise.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Originally Posted by LA964RS
Getting weight out of a street car is so hard and after a certain point extremely expensive. You are always 1 step away from a gutted car and then you wonder if its really worth it...Plus each piece you remove reduces the number of people who would be interested when you, if you, ever sell...not to mention what it does to the price of the car.

That said, its a fun exercise.
You're soooo right. That's why I'm glad my friend is doing this rather than myself I love my car too much the way it is to gut it. I'd only do it when I can afford a second "project" 964...
Old 01-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Humpty Dumpty is a 2 wheel drive Tiptronic Cabriolet. It has steel doors and fenders, two seats, air conditioning, high power stereo including a graphic equalizer, very full leather interior, door panels with storage compartments, a specially made (to also fit with the removable hardtop with electric sunroof and heated rear window) by Porsche AG roll bar covered in leather (which could be replaced by carbon fiber but I like the original factory piece), standard Porsche safety glass windshield and windows, etc., etc. (including two ashtrays -- one in each door -- I do not smoke but someone at Porsche AG thought it was a good idea). In other words, as Herr Singer said the last time he saw it, "it's a car". Current weight is below 2200 lbs (1000 kg). I cannot say how far below that it will go but we are in the final months of reducing rear weight, e.g., engine, transmission and torque converter. As to the brake calipers, they were built to accommodate and currently have 26 mm thick pads installed (in case, in theory, one ever had to do a 24 hour race and wanted to minimalize and possibly eliminate pad changes). If one reduced the pads to 18 mm or less as with most street cars, this would yield a several pound savings overall. Finally, if one removed all of the luxury features, changed steel body panels to carbon fiber (it does have a carbon hood to show what a first class carbon component looks like), removed one seat and changed the other to a carbon fiber race seat, changed to plastic windows, gutted the car as per a club or, even more drastic, a real race car, changed to a manual transmission, removed the muffler and heater boxes, etc., etc., it would weigh below 1650 lbs (750 kg).

Last edited by Robert Linton; 01-22-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:38 AM
Tuscany964
Racer

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Humpty Dumpty is a 2 wheel drive Tiptronic Cabriolet. It has steel doors and fenders, two seats, air conditioning, high power stereo including a graphic equalizer, very full leather interior, door panels with storage compartments, a specially made (to also fit with the removable hardtop with electric sunroof and heated rear window) by Porsche AG roll bar covered in leather (which could be replaced by carbon fiber but I like the original factory piece), standard Porsche safety glass windshield and windows, etc., etc. (including two ashtrays -- one in each door -- I do not smoke but someone at Porsche AG thought it was a good idea). In other words, as Herr Singer said the last time he saw it, "it's a car". Current weight is below 2200 lbs (1000 kg). I cannot say how far below that it will go but we are in the final months of reducing rear weight, e.g., engine, transmission and torque converter. As to the brake calipers, they were built to accommodate and currently have 26 mm thick pads installed (in case, in theory, one ever had to do a 24 hour race and wanted to minimalize and possibly eliminate pad changes). If one reduced the pads to 18 mm or less as with most street cars, this would yield a several pound savings overall. Finally, if one removed all of the luxury features, changed steel body panels to carbon fiber (it does have a carbon hood to show what a first class carbon component looks like), removed one seat and changed the other to a carbon fiber race seat, changed to plastic windows, gutted the car as per a club or, even more drastic, a real race car, changed to a manual transmission, removed the muffler and heater boxes, etc., etc., it would weigh below 1650 lbs (750 kg).

Simply amazing!!! Well done
Old 01-23-2009, 05:27 AM
Low 964
Pro

Robert, amazing car not up to speed on it, what is the reasoning behind it, whats it cost, and do you manufacture the parts....
Old 01-23-2009, 05:56 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Very long story. In sum, R&D and we do manufacture high end parts for a variety of applications. The parts from this car, however, are not for sale.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car weighs about 2150 lbs without me in it and a gallon or so of gas in the tank (class rules say 2300 lbs off the track at the end of the race with me in it). It has everything not essential for racing removed and about 10 lbs of video stuff and non-essentials added back for fun.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:34 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Tom- still love the turtle. Seems to me like an exercise in track art!

Quick Reply: Who's got the lightest c4?