NOT A MEMBER= NOTHING 4 SALE

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:04 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

use Firefox. I dont see any ads at all.
Most of the time I feel like I am using 2400 baud dial up when accessing the forums these days. I miss the speed of the original Rennlist.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
use Firefox. I dont see any ads at all.
Most of the time I feel like I am using 2400 baud dial up when accessing the forums these days. I miss the speed of the original Rennlist.

Jim, I don't see any ads either but I don't think there really are any. My point was that they are in fact 'preferable' to threads such as this one.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:07 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
What's ironic is that JD and Jenn were so cool and the site was such a genuine labor of love that most people felt obliged to pay after the first few weeks of membership. No requests, no nagging, no emails, no pop-ups or reminders...one just felt guilty for not having made a contribution and saying 'thank you', so you just did it.

I always asked Jenn to send extra rennlist cards and ended up giving them to so many people I met driving Porsches. A couple of times I have even left them behind wiper blades with a note! I think lots of people here felt like that too. I don't so much now.

I don't actually mind adverts or banners, unless they are really obtrusive, however posts in all-caps stating **!!MEMBERS ONLY!!** just saddens my day as it feels like the loose, open camaraderie between car lovers (regardless of color or creed) that made this forum has started to disappear.
+1 Howard. This place ain't what it used to be. It's a real shame.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
...I don't actually mind adverts or banners, unless they are really obtrusive, however posts in all-caps stating **!!MEMBERS ONLY!!** just saddens my day ....
Sorry but it seemed like the best compromise rather than just outright closing the For Sale thread.

Marc
Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 AM
ABQ Slim
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we get jackets that say !!MEMBERS ONLY!! on the front? Then we'd be stylin'!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Sorry but it seemed like the best compromise rather than just outright closing the For Sale thread.

Marc
Marc, maybe "(members only please)" might be more subtle...? Just a suggestion.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If people are going to use this site to advertise a 'for sale' item then ponying up a few dollars makes sense to me, both before and after the sale by John and Jen.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
If people are going to use this site to advertise a 'for sale' item then ponying up a few dollars makes sense to me, both before and after the sale by John and Jen.
Advertising for a business makes sense. It's exposure and you're in it to make money. Selling an odd part here and there or an old part lying around...marginal and probably acceptable to keep the thread managable. But to pay into this 'club' just for the right to buy something? Double dipping if you ask me...sellers already have to pay to advertise here. Anybody (paying member or not) can see the sponsor page and buy things from these advertised shops....so why can't regular users put up a WTB post and buy something from a fellow Rennlister?

Like mentioned before, this site was a community before...now it's a business.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:57 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ABQ Slim
Can we get jackets that say !!MEMBERS ONLY!! on the front? Then we'd be stylin'!
I just spit coffee on the screen. Thanks, needed that this morning.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
I agree. My point however was simply regarding the 'way' in which things were done. There are some amazingly classy people on this forum and its impressive how well moderated the forum is by its members, in fact the users are better mods than the mods (no offense marc, we all love and need you). To start slapping capital letters, asterix's and exclamation marks all over the board warning people what they can and cannot do just feels a tad unnecessary imo and removes the spirit that has long endured here.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:07 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 Kahdmus. I have been using this site for Porsche-specific information for what must be 10+ years. It is a great community, and both Jon and Jenn ran a tight ship. I hope that under the new administration, the quality of posts continue, and the feeling of community remains unblemished...

-B
Old 01-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Guards964
Instructor

I totally uderstand the new guidlines, but I must say that having the ability to ask if anybody out there had a part was instumental in helping me to put my beloved Porsche back on the road. I think that it is a shame that fellow Porsche drivers can not help each other out. And from my experience in dealing with many of you out there, you guys are not making money off of selling these parts. Most cases we are losing money just to get the extra parts out of our garages, or to finally admit that we are not going to get to that mod. Again, I'll abide by the guidlines, but it does really take away from the open comradery that really brought me to this site from other forums. Just my thoughts.

Scott
'92 Guards Red C2
Old 01-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Guards964
Instructor

Oh, and Marc, just to make sure I've got the guidelines right, if we are looking for a source of a part, ie. exhaust companies, front splitters, spoilers, ect. can we still post a question to the forum asking for sources of thes parts, or does that cross the line??? Thanks Marc

Scott
'92 Guards Red C2
Old 01-09-2009, 02:47 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

From a purely self-serving standpoint, post limitations hurt members, as well: as member-buyers, our universe of potential for-sale parts is blind to what's 'out there' -- beyond the clan.

Draw in those 'strangers' from all four corners of planet, I say.
Just in case they've got something weird out back in the barn...
"...that Uncle Wally bought in The City but never found a use for. It's still in its plastic bag w/ a label, '964 -- RS; AN-dial' -- whatever that is!... First $40 can have it."
Old 01-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Just the advice alone is worth more then membership fees!
(think about it guy's)
I would not buy anything from a non-member.
I feel I am now part of a community... Membership has its advantages!
Dwane

Quick Reply: NOT A MEMBER= NOTHING 4 SALE