Sponsored by:

Bruce Anderson Pricing Guide 964's Feb 2009 Excellence

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:25 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Bruce Anderson Pricing Guide 964's Feb 2009 Excellence

Just caught up with the Feb 2009 issue of Excellence. Bruce Anderson, if he is to be believed, is pricing RSA's from $20,901 - $34,288. Usually I dismiss this, but from what I've been seeing out there, his high may not be far off; his low, on the other hand seems a tad out of touch.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:12 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Wink

a 'tad' ?!...

(ol' Brucie's on cruise control.)
Old 12-27-2008, 10:43 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

And can somebody explain what the deal is with the value of the 1991 C2 cab???? Why is it so far off from the others? Why just the 91' ? what's the difference?

Maybe I'll get a straight answer here rather than asking Bruce directly.

Brgds, Peter
Old 12-28-2008, 06:32 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Anybody?

And can somebody explain what the deal is with the value of the 1991 C2 cab???? Why is it so far off from the others? Why just the 91' ? what's the difference?

Maybe I'll get a straight answer here rather than asking Bruce directly.

Brgds, Peter
Old 12-28-2008, 06:43 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

its off on the up side I hope
Old 12-28-2008, 09:20 PM
RS 197
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sold my RSA 60K on the clock, nice car no roof for $33K That was a buddy deal. I turned down $35 a year ago. Times are tough but prices are holding steady.
Bruce on the other hand is far from steady....
Old 12-29-2008, 02:18 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone recreate the pricing guide here?
Old 12-30-2008, 03:32 PM
kevjandon
Racer

I think these numbers for RSA's are spot on although owners of RSA's do not want to admit it or come to terms with it.

Go to RSA.net. Most of the cars posted have been sitting for 6 months to a year. Very few have been sold.

35K buys a whole lotta car in this crap pot of an economy. A local MB dealer has 2005 997 for $44K!!!

You can get a Cayman S with low miles for high 30's.

996's in the 20's

And we're just talking about p-cars.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree with Kev, RSA.net has cars on it which are priced in fantasy land, lets face it these cars just are not selling in the 40's right now. Couple been on and off eBay with no action in the 40's
Old 12-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a shame!
Old 12-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Without samples, anyone chiming in is speculating and nothing more. Mostly worthless blather. Stating the obvious....any specific car is worth exactly what a specific buyer and a specific seller agree it's worth in a transaction. There are lots of factors. Typically, somone shopping for an RSA isn't also in the market for lots of other cars, and unless there is some pressure to sell, RSA owners aren't giving their cars away for any price either. The low liquidity makes it pretty hard to generalize a price for the model.

With regard to RSAmerica.net, Keith is a pretty busy guy and doesn't update the site very frequently any more, especially the ads. I don't think you can derive much info from watching the dynamism (or lack thereof) of that site.

eBay similarly isn't a very good indicator. It's really an advertising medium, not a sales medium. For the most part, if you're going to buy a car from eBay, you're not going to bid on eBay. You're going to negotiate a price off-line and the sale will expire or be pulled. eBay knows this. That's why they charge the way they do for advertising cars.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 PM
kevjandon
Racer

I disagree, Keith's site is updated fairly frequently. Last update on the classifieds was 12/7, just 3 weeks ago.

I've been hunting for a 1994 RSA for 3 years now. There are 3 for sale on RSA.net but I do not want red or black. I offered Paul 30K for his and he countered at 38K. We agreed to disagree and his is STILL for sale.

One guy is dreaming and the others are posting on pelican and reducing their prices to move their cars.

Here are some very recent Pelican RSA posts:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=448781

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hlight=america

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hlight=america

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=445672

You are right that the buyer and seller must agree on what the transaction is worth. The problem is there are no buyers, but plenty of sellers. This is where supply and demand kick in.

Locally, there is a 996 GT3 for sale with PCCB's at a dealer for the mid 60's. Soon these will be in the 40's. Why buy an RSA if a GT3 can be had for similar pricing?

30 to 40 years from now RSA's will command big premiums. Espically ones that are not modified. We're just not there yet. We would be if Porsche gave the RSA more HP but they didn't.

For now 964's are worth the 20's and RSA's the 30's. A 10K (50%) premium for a car that sold 10K less sounds about right. No way an RSA is worth twice what a comporable 964 is worth.

My 2 cents and I'm in the Market for a 1994 RSA (no red, no black)
Old 12-30-2008, 09:24 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennen
Without samples, anyone chiming in is speculating and nothing more. Mostly worthless blather. Stating the obvious....any specific car is worth exactly what a specific buyer and a specific seller agree it's worth in a transaction. There are lots of factors. Typically, somone shopping for an RSA isn't also in the market for lots of other cars, and unless there is some pressure to sell, RSA owners aren't giving their cars away for any price either. The low liquidity makes it pretty hard to generalize a price for the model.

With regard to RSAmerica.net, Keith is a pretty busy guy and doesn't update the site very frequently any more, especially the ads. I don't think you can derive much info from watching the dynamism (or lack thereof) of that site.

eBay similarly isn't a very good indicator. It's really an advertising medium, not a sales medium. For the most part, if you're going to buy a car from eBay, you're not going to bid on eBay. You're going to negotiate a price off-line and the sale will expire or be pulled. eBay knows this. That's why they charge the way they do for advertising cars.
Agree. RSA's have always been a thin market. Trying to find it in Ebay is humorous.
These cars have a strong tendency to be owned by enthusiasts of the 964.
Not strong sellers, but reluctant sellers. The present is nothing more than the
past. Cars sit and wait. Anyone who does not understand it hasn't been following the market.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I've bought two pristine, low miles RSAs in the last 4.5 years for considerably more than the quoted range. If we're only looking at the immediate present, almost nothing of appreciable value is selling. This is true in cars, houses, jewelry, you name it. The financial crisis is locking up most markets. So RIGHT NOW, I'm guessing that if you can find a motivated seller (aka someone who needs cash) and a buyer who isn't fearful for their future and is willing to part with some dough, there are great deals out there in all these goods including RSAs. Most people who own RSAs and who don't feel pressure to move them out of their garages, are simply going to hold onto them either forever (like me), or for the market to rebound like it inevitably will. I have very little doubt that my pristine low mile midnight blue RSA will fetch a nice premium price one day when my kids decide to sell it after I die, and it will be considerably more than $10K over an equivalent C2.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:46 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Anybody have a link to the original post? This is just the bump.

Sounds like a nice car. Not surprised he turned down 30, but can't fault you for tryin'.

Quick Reply: Bruce Anderson Pricing Guide 964's Feb 2009 Excellence